Gate post installation problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

http://postimg.org/image/uogucdaj7/

I am installing a driveway gate. One post is connecting to brick wall on house, other will be cemented in to the ground.

The problem I have (refer to picture) is that the house does not run parallel to the driveway. The gate post connected to the wall will not be in alignment with the other gate post.

Is there anything that I can buy to wedge in between the gate post and wall, as so the post on the wall will be in alignment with the other gate post?

Many thx for your help

Mark

Sponsored Links
can you not plane down the post to make it fit the correct angle?

Just fix a correct thickness batten to the wall prior to fitting the post.

If the post is overly thick thus preventing through fixings, then slightly splayed angle brackets fixed to the wall may be better and these will also do the job of holding one side off the wall at the correct angle.

Sponsored Links
Your gate will be hung on hinges (preferably hook and band) so there is no need for the posts to be in the same plane.

BTW a wooden post concreted into the ground will rot. It will also lean over due to the one-sided load. You can prevent the lean by putting a brace or lintel between the tops of the two posts. I used a piece of treated decking. You may need the posts to be slightly higher to accomodate it.

One way to prevent your post rotting is to put a pair of concrete spurs in the ground and bolt the post between them, with the bottom of the post raised six inches above the ground, and the post ends having been soaked in a bucket of Cuprinol wood preserver (not stain).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back