Gate valve on DHW return (AGILE)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I was reading with great interest a thread in which Agile (tony) reccomended a gate valve on the DHW return, ...

"If you close the cylinder coil gate valve and then open two and a half turns it will probably give you better heating without having any significant effect on the reheat time of the cylinder.

Another ( better ) setting for the valve would be to adjust it so that there is a 15° differential across the flow and return to the heating coil.

Tony

I have this set up, and it works a treat, during the summer months I open the gate valve fully so the cylinder gets the full flow from the boiler.
Just one slight problem during these summer months is... on its return to the boiler, as it tee's into the main return pipe, it must be by heat transfer that the radiators are getting warm through the return, the pipes are horizontal, in the loft, would a closed gate valve fitted in this return, stop this in the summer? cheers.

i

Sponsored Links
A non return valve fitted to the heating return (before the tee into the common return) may help your situation. Usually the DHW primary return is the last connection into the common return before the boiler, to reduce the possibility of heat gravitating into the radiators.

James.

A non return valve fitted to the heating return (before the tee into the common return) may help your situation. Usually the DHW primary return is the last connection into the common return before the boiler, to reduce the possibility of heat gravitating into the radiators.

James.
Your right James, it is the last connection before the boiler, I think a N.R. valve or gate valve or ball valve is the only solution. cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back