gate valve location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed a gate valve on the return pipe at the hot water cylinder and i was told it was to slow the water down going through the boiler. could anybody tell me is it dangerous to have to large or to small a flow through the boiler and how many turns should you have the gate valve open. your help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The gate valve is there to allow sufficient water flow through the cylinder instead of a deluge or a trickle. The gate valve will be set while taking temperature readings of flow and return pipes when heating and hot water is on.

If greater amount of water flows through the cylinder than is necessary, radiators further away may not get enough water flow, so may not heat the room sufficiently.

a gate valve is on the cold feed pipe in to the cylinder, for isolating it if required. not on the pipework to and from the boiler. it would be dangerous.

I noticed a gate valve on the return pipe at the hot water cylinder and i was told it was to slow the water down going through the boiler. could anybody tell me is it dangerous to have to large or to small a flow through the boiler and how many turns should you have the gate valve open. your help is much appreciated.
If it is immediately after the cylinder and before the return pipe joins the main return from the radiators, it is to control the flow through the cylinder's coil and prevent the cylinder taking all the heat. Nothing dangerous at all - I have one on my cylinder. If your rads are heating up OK when the cylinder is also being heated, I would leave the valve alone.

Boiler manufacturers will specify the minimum flow required and this should have been taken into consideration when the system was installed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back