getting rid of old pear tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've an old pear tree that's not produced any worthwhile fruit for ages, so I was wanting to get rid of it. I can chop the thing down (tree is 4m tall and 3m wide), but was wondering if it was ok to shred the small branches and use them as mulch in a border. Could they be harbouring pests or diseases? The tree looks ok - knobbly bark, loads of leaves, but no fruit.

Also, I plan to cut the tree close to the ground, so I can pave over it. What is a surefire way to kill the tree, so no shoots will appear and disrupt any paving slabs?

Sponsored Links
Not really answering your question but; ;)

I’m in no way a tree expert but have recently had to learn a little due to buying a property with a very large garden with many trees, I had no idea they required maintenance but they do! Unless you want the space it’s occupying, it seems a great shame to remove such a tree which takes many years to mature. Your problem may just be one of pollination; single fruit trees, apparently, won’t do well unless there are others in the area. I had two very unkempt apple trees & one pear we inherited which must be at least 30 years old; some fruit but of poor quality. I pruned them back very hard & did not get any fruit for 2 years but this year it looks like a bumper crop.

I generally agree with what you're saying, but I already have 2 apple and 1 plum which do give bumper crops. The reasons for wanting rid of the pear is partly due to it not producing anything worthwhile (having tried many things for the past 4 years!) and being near the patio, it blocks half the view of the garden. I plan to plant a few more fruit trees, but smaller varieties.

Sponsored Links
No, dont use them as mulch as you get fungus growing on them and is bad for the plants. They also rob the soil of nitrogen as they rot, IIRC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back