Getting small electric shocks in shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm 19 years old and from Portugal.

I've been having a small problem since mid-2004 when I'm taking a shower in my bathroom.. When I touch the metal parts of the tap and the metal parts of the showerhead hose I feel a slight tingling and vibration.

I was curious and noticed that if I touch them when I have a small wound in my fingers it stings. If I touch them near my face I can see a white blob flashing from where it's in contact with my skin. I can see it clearly when I close my eyes. Also if I place it near my teeth they vibrate and it gives me a slight tooth-ache!

It also varies a lot. Sometimes there seems to be no electrical shocks at all. Other days I notice it a lot. I've told this to my parents and they've tried having a shower in my bathroom and they don't notice anything at all! Isn't that strange? :eek:

I've tried using their shower and I don't notice as much as in mine, I can barely feel anything at all. Mine is a shower where you can only stand-up, while theirs is a bathtub with shower integrated.

I've told them perhaps it might be a good idea to call an electrician, but since they can't feel anything they are holding on to the theory that it is because I am too much time in front of my computer...

I don't know anything about electricity and such, so I was just curious if you could tell me if this is an electric problem in my house or just my body that is absorbing static electricity or something like that.. So I just searched for a forum related to electricity and this forum came up.

Hoping someone could solve this mystery!
Thanks! :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I'll try convincing my parents on calling an electrician. But do you happen to know why my parents can't feel a thing? Is it because my skin has more sensitivity or something?

Sponsored Links
Could be just static electricity causing the shocks but I would be worried if it was happening in the shower. :(

Get it checked out for peace of mind. :D

Back