Getting Smart Life to work on PC.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1654761843761.png
Looks good, and for items where a click turns it on, it works, using the bluestacks emulator, however to turn on/off landing light I need to open the icon
1654762055510.png
and once done I have two switches, DSC_6787.jpg works fine with phone, and with Nest Mini, however if I have not taken phone to bed with me, I want to turn on light without making a noise, so Nest Mini no really an option, and light switch only turns on centre lights very pretty Centre_bulb_colours.jpg but to see with want the outer lights on, DSC_6799.jpg and they are wireless only, no switch, so would be nice to control lights from PC as well as phone, so want smart life to work with PC.

Sponsored Links
It's not clear from your post, quite what you want to do. I have Alexa via Bluestacks on my laptop, which then allows me to set up routines and control things from the laptop. I have a couple of Amazon devices, which I can speak to to directly control the devices. I have Alexa on my Iphone which also allows direct control. SmartLife gadgets work under Alexa.

I have bluestacks and smart life on my laptop, it takes an age to start, some functions seem to work OK, can switch on/off smart bulbs, but when I try to open up a device, to change colour etc, or select which switch with relay, then it seems to just reboot itself and go around in circles never opening the part required.

Just wondered if the is a PC version of smart life which does not need bluestacks.

I have bluestacks and smart life on my laptop, it takes an age to start, some functions seem to work OK, can switch on/off smart bulbs, but when I try to open up a device, to change colour etc, or select which switch with relay, then it seems to just reboot itself and go around in circles never opening the part required.

Just wondered if the is a PC version of smart life which does not need bluestacks.

I only used SmartLife for the initial setup of my plugs, once setup, I registered them with the Alexa app on my Iphone. I then setup Bluestacks and Alexa on a PC, but only to make it easier to set up routines. What I found was the earlier versions of Bluestacks took an age to load, but the more recent version loads much faster.

The only issues I have had, has been with Alexa loosing contact very occasionally with the plugs. Once contact is lost, it stays lost and a plug needs to be power cycled to get it back - some of my systems are slightly critical that they operate correctly, so it would be good if Alexa could somehow advise you if contact was lost.

I can therefore control everything from my PC's, Iphone, or by speaking to Alexa via Fire devices.

Sponsored Links
What I found was the earlier versions of Bluestacks took an age to load, but the more recent version loads much faster.
That is good news, maybe all I need to do it up-grade bluestacks.

Odd my zigbee devices only seem to loose connection if they are disconnected for a long time, my energenie hub seems to need a reboot around once a month, had the relay loose connection after being sat in box for 3 months waiting for my son to fit it, but even when light bulbs turned off at switch, they seem to work OK once power switched on again.

It seems you can set notification with zigbee, some devices do register on phone if they did not work on a schedule command if switched off. And the zigbee show on app if on or off, the energenie don't except for the energy monitor of course, which was a bit of a pain when turning on the AC before coming home as not sure if on or off, I did use the energy monitor switch for that so could see if running or not, and the monitor function showed if the compressor had kicked in, i.e if room hot enough to need AC on.

I don't have Iphone or Alexa I have Samsung phones and Nest Mini's but they do near enough the same thing. Only problem is due to Colvid shut down, I had teeth out, but never got false teeth to replace them, so Nest Mini some times does not understand what I am saying, or maybe Welsh accent?

So I can ask lights to turn on and fail, my wife says same thing and they work, maybe Nest Mini's are sexist?

Odd my zigbee devices only seem to loose connection if they are disconnected for a long time, my energenie hub seems to need a reboot around once a month, had the relay loose connection after being sat in box for 3 months waiting for my son to fit it, but even when light bulbs turned off at switch, they seem to work OK once power switched on again.

Alexa just shows them as 'not available', despite all of them still remaining powered all of the time. Often it is more than one.

It seems you can set notification with zigbee, some devices do register on phone if they did not work on a schedule command if switched off. And the zigbee show on app if on or off, the energenie don't except for the energy monitor of course, which was a bit of a pain when turning on the AC before coming home as not sure if on or off, I did use the energy monitor switch for that so could see if running or not, and the monitor function showed if the compressor had kicked in, i.e if room hot enough to need AC on.

Alexa will pick up zigbee units, among the many it lists. As said above - Alexa is aware it has lost contact, but you need to load the app to become aware of that. Better would be some sort of notification or an email to advise you, rather than having to check.

It I had BlueStacks version 4, now got version 5, however same thing,
1655143941232.png
this works fine, but this
1655144063573.png
needs opening first to select which button. 1655144172055.png shown here open on phone, and I get the start 1655144433780.pngbut then returns to first page, with the other one which needs opening it works 1655144546766.png but the relay just returns to start page.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back