GFCI breaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently replaced the old outlets in the bathroom of my house with new GFCI outlets. I wired according to the instructions and everything seems to work. The lights and fan inside the bathroom coming off of that outlet work just fine. The problem is that once I try to turn on the light in the hallway (also connected to the same outlet) the circuit breaker in the outlet pops. This happens independently of the lights being on or off inside the bathroom. I checked the light fixture and don't see anything abnormal. I know it's hard to assess without seing it in person, but could anyone make any suggestions as to what the problem could be?
Note: with the old (non-gfci) outlet, the hallway lights functioned ok.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Carlos

Sponsored Links
i belive your gfci (equivilent of our rcd) outlets come with input terminals from the mains and protected output terminals

my guess is that the live and neutral for your light come from opposite sides of the gfci

if you are only bothered about gfci protection for the outlet itself then just wire everything to the input terminals of the gfci and leave the protected output terminals empty

Thank you for the information, it does make sense. The house was build prior to new code regulations and that's probably what they did. Thank you very much and I'll let you know if it doesn't work.

-Carlos

Sponsored Links
But surely it's tripping for a reason?

EDIT: I just read about them coming from opposite sides.

BTW, in USA they call 'Live' 'Hot', and generally call neutral neutral, but sometimes they call it 'Cold'.
They used to call neutral 'Ground' and still do when not talking about wiring, and then when they introduced 'Grounded sockets', well, they started calling Earth ground.

Sometimes you still here reference of 'ground' and 'safety ground', even though these terms were officially dropped ages ago.

Very confusing :confused:

Back