Glazier's putty and drying/overpainting time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

during the preparation for repainting a wooden window, I found the lower retaining bead to be rotten so I removed and replaced it. I have run a line of glaziers putty between the bead and the glass. However I have just read the instructions on the putty and it says that drying time is 21-28 days and it should not be overpainted until dry.

Is this correct? This would be a problem as I need to put on first undercoat today. Should I have used another product?

TIA,
H.

Sponsored Links
Because you just have a very thin layer of putty between the bead and glass i bet its already hardened off in this heat, its when you point up with putty that it takes a while to go off, id of said longer than 21-28 days.

Incidentally, are we talking single glazed or double glazed?

Hi,

yes it was very thin layer, just to fill the gap between the bean and the glass (it's double glazing btw.) It certainly felt like it had gone off after a few hours. I think it will be OK.

Well just to throw a spanner in the works, what type of putty did you use?

Linseed putty and butyl putty both attack the seal in the double glazing and in time will blow the unit, nowadays we'll use glazing silicone for DGU's that are in timber :cry:

Sponsored Links
^ Butyl doesn't attack the seal. It's designed for DGU's - isn't it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back