Gloss paint on Ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have gloss paint on my ceilings which has been there for 30 years. I wish to emulsion them but not sure what I need to do.

As it is a ceiling it will be a big job to sand thoroughly but on the plus side it will never get knocked. Do you think light sanding then a waterbased emulsion on top will be ok? My one concern was if there is ever any condensation it would go through the emulsion and stop at the paint thus causing the emulsion to flake off?

Sponsored Links
I would give it a light rub down...as much as you can then a coat of dulux supergrip or zinseer bin primer...leave for a couple of days then emulsion

Or..oil based undercoat...but leave for a week or so till it cures..then emulsion.

Just going to say easiest way is prob undercoat with a cheap oil based undercoat and as zamp says leave a few days and apply your chosen emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back