Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I have the following system in my house:

Glow Worm Micron Boiler 70FF
Tribune Premier TP150B
Sunvic Programmer
Sunvic 2 port valve (for water heating)
Honeywell 2 port valve (for central heating)
TRVs on most radiators
No room stat

I seem to be having a problem with the boiler. It needs to be reset (by turning it off and then back on) when I am using the boiler to heat the water in the cylinder. This occurs everytime I advance the HW or when it comes on due to the timed settings on the programmer.

At first I thought it might have been the 2 port valve and have replaced this like-for-like. Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem. Would I be right in thinking it might be the cylinder stat or a stat on the boiler?

There is no problem when I am only using the boiler to warm the radiators.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

Sponsored Links
Is the pump powered from the boiler to give it pump over run?

Is the boiler connected to a permanent live with a seperate call for heat?

A room stat is required under energy efficiency regulations and will save up to 5% on fuel costs.

Tony Glazier

Tony,

Thanks for the swift reply.

I'm not too technically minded, so please excuse me if I answer incorrectly.

The pump is powered from the boiler.

I'm not so sure about what you mean by 'seperate call for heat'

I can say that the system has worked for at least 2 years without any problems, however about 3 months ago I changed the programmer (for an identical one). I did not need to change any wiring as the programmer sat on the existing base plate.

I did notice that I had to press the reset button on the HW cylinder about 2 months back (I only did this once I had changed the valve!!!!!) This kick started everything back working.

Terry

Just because a programmer sits on the same backplate does not mean that the wiring is the same !!!

I would expect the same model would probably have the same connections.

Did you set the jumper at the back to "fully pumped" ???

Tony

Sponsored Links
Check you have water in the header tank. HW system could be starved. Also check any air bleed point on the pipes which go into the side of the cylinder, for air. Either could make the boiler overheat on HW.

I did notice that I had to press the reset button on the HW cylinder about 2 months back
What reset button - is this on the electrical HW heater?

Guys,

The timer was the same, I'll check the jumper settings for fully pumped.

The reset button was undre a cover on my unvented cylinder, it was by the thermostat control if that makes sense. There is another thermostat on the cylinder for the immersion.

The system is pressurised, would this make any difference?

If the overheat stat which controls the boiler heating had tripped then that implies to me that there may be a fault with the way your unvented has been installed and that may be quite serious as thay can explode.

Unventeds have to be installed by someone who is qualified by examination to fit them and they have to be notified to the Building Control.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back