glow worm boiler

The gasman left Sat at 3pm and nothing was still working when I left the house at 7.30pm. At 2am I checked and still no HW or CH, so I turned everything off e.g. boiler CH & HW swiches.

I was reading through the postings on this site this afternoon and decided to try out a tip. I put my hand over the hot water tap outlet then turned the water. I think the theory of the posting was to force the water back into the system (e.g. no water pressure - starving the boiler of water).

After my last posting 25 mins ago. I decided to switch everything back on e.g. CH, HW & ignite boiler. I heard water running in the boiler, which was usual. I've turned it off in the past when away a few days. Anyway, I was expecting the burner to cut out after a couple of minutes, it didn't. Thought I'd check the rads - there are actually warm. I've just checked the boiler while writing this, its still going. The HW will take some time.

Well considering all switches & boiler was on yesterday for hours and didn't work, what do you make of that!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Spoke too soon, the boilers cutting out but at least all the rads got warm, just wanted it to keep going for some HW. I'll keep resetting it in hope to get it going again. Biazarre.

The hot water that comes out of the tap is completely seperate than the heating system water.
Water heated by the boiler is pumped through a coil of pipework within the hot water cylinder indirectly heating the water inside.

Trapped air within the heating system has probably settled out and there is just enough water around the pump for it to now pump hence the system appears to be working (just).

If the pump sounds noisy (sound of air bubbles) do not allow it to run as it will be wearing out the bearings and damage will occur.

On the smaller Microns it is acceptable as ChrisR mentioned to convert the system over to a combined feed/vent (check with the manual) this may avoid expensive blockage removal. (Personally I'd prefer to sort out the blockage)

It is a little boiler, the smallest I've seen.

Its purring nicely, no noises or bubbles. The boiler has been cutting out after longer periods of being on, which is a result, but coming back on after a couple of minutes for long periods of about 15mins.

Unfortunately, the vendors did not leave a manual when they left 8 months ago. Will I be able to obtain one from somewhere.

P.S. thank you all for the advice given, I will keep hold of it just in case.

Sponsored Links
The behaviour is entirely consistent with earlier diagnosis. The water may have just trickled through enough for circulation. Get bleeding again, especially the HW loop.

Suggest you pour eg Fernox Heavy Duty Restorer into the f/e tank. It'll go in and out when the system heats and cools and will help clear the pipe. It WILL need flushing out though (fill and empty a couple of times, then add inhibitor.

I'll bleed the rads tomorrow when they cool down. As for getting up to the loft (gulp) I can give it a try. At present the boiler is cutting out alot and coming on again for shorter periods now.

give me an email address - I'll send it to you
what size is it ?

there's the 30/50
60/80 and IIRC 100

Great,

Its a Glow - worm Micron 60 wall hung boiler.

Thank you

Yes, I think so. I upgraded with them 3 months ago so that it could handle larger attachments. If I have a problem, I'll drop you a line.

Hi Raden,

I've received the email and the attachment is open.

Thats great, thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back