Glow worm flexicom 18sx no hot water help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just been round a friend's house, he had no hot water , heating works fine , turn the heating on the boiler fires up , pump works and electric valve thing moves on the heating pipe , that's a Honeywell f8 ?
When the hotwater is turned on the electric valve does not operate to open flow to tank, nothing happens. When it's opened manually the pump kicks in but the boiler does not fire up and heat the water to heat the tank?
Any pointers ? Is it the Honeywell valve causing all this , sorry no pics ,

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Oh yeah no codes on boiler either, maybe a flow switch somewhere ? Any ideas thanks ?

I'm beginning to think the water tank thermostat is not working so the boiler is not switching on.

Programmer/tank stat/three port fault

Time to get the multimeter out and start a logical test sequence

Sponsored Links
Can you give me some rough values on the tank stat please ?

With power off, test for continuity when stat calls for heat or if live, test for voltage on output terminal

CAUTION - YOU ARE WORKING WITH POTENTIALLY FATAL VOLTAGES
IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE DOING THEN STOP

Can you give me some rough values on the tank stat please ?

It's a case of testing for 240V. With hw on at programmer should be current to stat's C/common terminal. Stat turned up, should be current also to 1/demand terminal. Stat turned down, current to both C/common and 2/satisfied terminal.

However, seriously consider getting an engineer in. Ask friends, family, colleagues, etc for recommendations. Stay away from nonsense like Checkatrade.

Last edited:
Thanks guys , I'm good with checking with my dmm , thanks for warnings though ,

Went through and checked programmer, stat, and motor valve , motor valve gets power but not working so I've ordered a new motor for it less than a tenner , saved my friend possible horrendous made up bills lol
Thanks for the help !

make sure you turn the power off at the fused spur when replacing the synchron motor, there is a permanent live in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back