Glow Worm Flexicom 30cx and Hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking to swap out a Nest Heat Link and associated plug-in thermostat for a Hive single-channel receiver and wireless thermostat. Main reason is that I simply cannot get my head round how to successfully operate the Nest thermostat/controller!! All I want to do do is set a daily schedule of on/off times and temps (so it can just get on with it) but it is proving very difficult and I've given up..

Question; is it easy enough to wire a single channel Hive receiver to the Flexicom 30cx?

I have recently assisted a friend to instal the above to operate with a Worcester Greenstar CDi combi and it was very simple. Mains permanent Live and Neutral come into the fused switch, then go on to the Hive receiver and onward to the Live and Neutral connections on the boiler - easy. Two more wires involved; one (Ls) comes from the boiler (LIVE SUPPLY) and terminates in slot 1 (common) on the Hive and the other (Lr, LIVE RETURN) goes from slot 3 on the Hive to the appropriate slot in the boiler.

Was hoping it would be a very similar when it came to the Flexicom 30cx..but I don't think it is.

I have actually studied the wiring diagram in the installation guide for the boiler (mains voltage system controls and diagram 10.3). The easy (and obvious bits) are the permanent Live and Neutral coming through the 3AMP fused switch. From there they seem to go through a junction box?? On the installer interface, when the live, neutral and Earth are connected, there are just two remaining slots, i.e. R and F. This is where I am stuck...can anyone assist please?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
The function of the wires you have presently connected to the Heat link can be identified from the diagram below.

Heat link.jpg

Once you have identified the wires, they go to the terminals at the Hive single channel receiver that have the same function.

Hive.png

So for example:
The wire/s in Heat link (L) goes to Hive (L)
The wire/s in Heat link (N) goes to Hive (N)
The wire in Heat link (2) 'Heating common' goes to the Hive (1) Common
The wire in Nest 'Heating call for heat' (3) goes to the Hive (3) 'Heating on'

I'm not sure you will find the Hive any easier to use though.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back