Glow-worm xtrafast 96 - low pressure from hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem: Turn on hot tap and initial burst of water which immediately slows to a trickle.
Temp. is OK, cold water pressure fine. Have cleaned inlet filter, no difference.
Problem occured shortly after new water main installed as a replacement for original lead and steel pipe.
Any ideas? Help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your interest
I replaced the stop cock for a new one when I did the water main.
All the hot taps are now very slow.
Cold water pressure seems fine.
I assume that there is no hot water pump in this boiler and that it relies on mains pressure. I suspect a blockage of some kind but don't know where to start.

Sounds like a blockage.
Either in pipes, or boiler.
Other taps??

If suspect in the boiler, remove the flow sensor, filter and flow restrictor. Inspect flow restrictor, consider leaving the darned thing out. The O rings on them can swell up.
If ok, connect something like a flexible tap connector at the red arrow
GWxtrafastinlet.jpg

to see what the flow's like.
If ok, blockage is more likely to be in the heat exchanger than the outlet pipework - it has narrow waterways. So I'd take it out and clean/inspect it.

Sponsored Links
Problem solved.
That was a good tip about fitting a pipe to test pressure coming in.
The problem was the isolating valve on the cold water inlet fitting. It had only ever been turned 1/4 on since installation because it was sticky and because the manual suggests that it only needs a 1/4 turn (although this instruction refers to the other isolating valve).
Dismantling and cleaning and then turning it fully on sorted the problem. Deep joy, the system now works better than it ever has with zero expenditure.
Thanks for your help, all hail the internet!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back