going 3phase from single (residential)

So have my three phase supply up and running now. Used wylex tp boards, one in the under stairs feeding the ground floor cu and 1st floor / upper floor cu and feeding the garage via 4core cable and the other in the garage. all cables to submaines are swa, 16mm protected with 63amp mcbs. Submain boards are full rcbos in the house submaines and sokets in the garage. Mcb for the three phase to the lathe which now runs a treat. Much better than before on the inverter...

Work done by me and signed off by local bc and tested by qualified inspector. Very happy with my handiwork so far and can't wait to replace the old cu which is a nightmare mess...very bad 1970's DIY install...why use the neutral bar when you can just use a piece of red 16mm meter tail from the neutral bar to an earth block screwed onto the wooden backer board and run all the circuits' neutrals to this?? !!!

Sponsored Links
Ok, so here are some snaps...

Hardly any neutrals in the neutral bar and a red meter tail with clipped ends used to link the cu neutral bar to an earth block screwed to the wooded back board...

8336354209_1c87a5de7a_z.jpg

Earth block with unsleaved red tail as neutral link

8336355745_421a968ecc.jpg

Mess of wires and what you can see here is that the 'garage' breaker also has one of the the house hallway sockets fed from it, the cooker 40amp breaker on a 10mm cable just goes nowhere and another socket ring main just doesn't exist in the house that I can see....

8336359019_c84c761b3c.jpg

The house has been rewired 3 times from what I can make out...original material covers wiring in thin steel conduit (still in use in some circuits), old, what looks like rubber, and some pvc covered cable, flat and round, some in conduit, some loose (25 percent still in use) and the latest lot in PVC black/red twin and earth. I'm stripping out all the old rubbish as I go and it amazing how much more space there is once you get rid of the old bare metal earthing, gas barrel, lead water pipes, unused copper gas etc...

Here's the wylex TP board ready for connection with 25mm tails. pic to follow of the meter for any meter geeks out there :) took about 45 mins and have 100amp fuses installed so I know I've got the full monty :) and now have 63amps to the first floor old board (L1), 63amps to the first and second floor (L2) and 63amps three phase to the garage with SP on L3...

8337419038_44852e1c2b.jpg

Fixed your links for the pictures
Ok, so here are some snaps...

Hardly any neutrals in the neutral bar and a red meter tail with clipped ends used to link the cu neutral bar to an earth block screwed to the wooded back board...

8336354209_1c87a5de7a_z.jpg

Earth block with unsleaved red tail as neutral link

http://m.flickr.com/photos/79809501@N04/8336355745/lightbox/

Mess of wires and what you can see here is that the 'garage' breaker also has one of the the house hallway sockets fed from it, the cooker 40amp breaker on a 10mm cable just goes nowhere and another socket ring main just doesn't exist in the house that I can see....

http://m.flickr.com/photos/79809501@N04/8336359019/lightbox/

The house has been rewired 3 times from what I can make out...original material covers wiring in thin steel conduit (still in use in some circuits), old, what looks like rubber, and some pvc covered cable, flat and round, some in conduit, some loose (25 percent still in use) and the latest lot in PVC black/red twin and earth. I'm stripping out all the old rubbish as I go and it amazing how much more space there is once you get rid of the old bare metal earthing, gas barrel, lead water pipes, unused copper gas etc...

Here's the wylex TP board ready for connection with 25mm tails. pic to follow of the meter for any meter geeks out there :) took about 45 mins and have 100amp fuses installed so I know I've got the full monty :) and now have 63amps to the first floor old board (L1), 63amps to the first and second floor (L2) and 63amps three phase to the garage with SP on L3...

http://m.flickr.com/photos/79809501@N04/8337419038/lightbox/

Sponsored Links
Bliley...took two two hour train journeys to get the pics from my phone to floor and floor to here...might have been lucky to have three phase heads already under my stairs, but luck runs out for phone reception between home and work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back