Going to buy CCTV this week wish I had last week

MPG, i figured you meant connecting it to the alarm you were considering buying (The one you linked to)

as i said dont bother, use the DVR's motion sensor ability, or leave it to run 24/7

Get what ever alarm you like, but in this instance take what imigix said with a pinch of salt.

Sponsored Links
cheers Breezer.

he makes a point but maybe a little OTT for my application however I am humble enough to eat my own words if it happens again.

The honeywell alarm seems to fit the bill.

Looking at buying 2nd hand pro cctv gear at the moment trying to decide whether a £130 budget DVR is going to cut the mustard or do i need to hit nearer £500 for semi pro or 2nd hand pro gear.

Its all so frustrating I wish I could come on saying Hey I got 2 grand to spank on alarm and cctv.

But I Havn't.

most of what imigix said is not correct anyway, which is why i said take his comments with a pinch of salt. But also, what he said that is correct does not apply to you, since you want to go DIY.

I am never happy with 2nd hand cctv, you dont know how it was treated or how long it will last.

my DVRs come from Maplin, they are good, but now i would say if you have the money get maplin cameras and DVD from somewhere else. (or all from some where else)
My DVR's work fine, its just a pain when you wnat to watch something and the DVR is hiiden, even by remote control its alkward to use.

I would look for a DVR that has

internal CD or DVD writer
ability to have keyboard or similar plugged in (finding things easier)
Big hard drive.

I have not looked for one so can not recomend anything.

The cd / dvd is so you can burn said disc and view on say another pc

Some DVRS can record 24/7 and on motion, they do this by letting you set a constant recording frame rate, and a motion detected frame rate.

On some of my cams I set constant to 2 or 3 frames per second, so it will always get something recorded, and on motion, it jumps up to the max frame rate.

Less important cams I just set on motion.

Also, some DVR's have alarm inputs, so on a dvr that allows it you could link PIR's to your alarm to start a camera recording, this would have the advantage of giving a lot less false alarms on outdoor cameras (which will always be triggering the motion detection when a small cat runs across the yard, or tree branch moves, or some paper flies by on a windy day etc etc.)

Sponsored Links
Also, some DVR's have alarm inputs, so on a dvr that allows it you could link PIR's to your alarm to start a camera recording, this would have the advantage of giving a lot less false alarms on outdoor cameras (which will always be triggering the motion detection when a small cat runs across the yard, or tree branch moves, or some paper flies by on a windy day etc etc.)

nice theory, unfortuntely what you have typed is no use in this instance.

The OP wants a separate alarm from the cctv, but he did not realise a DVR has built in motion detect.

He could connect the alarm to an input on the DVR (but which one) so that it records at max frame rate for the duration of alarm activation, but whats the point, you want to see what happens before the alarm goes off not after. ie see the person walking up the drive.

Dont think that pirs false alarm less than motion detect.
You can not use an ordainairy pir outside, so external use pirs are required, such pirs do exist (redwall is popular) but they too false alarm and cost a whole lot more. £162.00 each

nice theory, unfortuntely what you have typed is no use in this instance.

The OP wants a separate alarm from the cctv, but he did not realise a DVR has built in motion detect.

He could connect the alarm to an input on the DVR (but which one) so that it records at max frame rate for the duration of alarm activation, but whats the point, you want to see what happens before the alarm goes off not after. ie see the person walking up the drive.

Dont think that pirs false alarm less than motion detect.
You can not use an ordainairy pir outside, so external use pirs are required, such pirs do exist (redwall is popular) but they too false alarm and cost a whole lot more. £162.00 each

Care to explain??

Cheers Guys.

But to clarify a little

I would like a dvr that could record 24/7 on the exterior but only record internally if the alarm was triggered.

The wife doesnt like the idea of being watched in the house ;) (sharon stone in sliver style).

That way I could record them breaking in but then also record them ransacking the house.

I've got my eye on a DVR and been Looking at some £100 plus Cameras.

With regards to the alarm most seem to do very similiar things. and its hard to find reviews the one i linked to from ebay has way to many PIR's and Magnetic sensors so I may be able to cut the cost down for the same equipment or increase spec due to less equipment needs.

At least my front door will be done next week

how many cameras are you thinking of?

how many in?, how many out?

2-3 outside 30 Inside :evil:

No 2-3 outside and only a couple inside one on the landing and and one in the living/dining room

so you are saying 5?

its just that most small DVRs can only have 4 cameras, BUT if you had 2 DVR's you could have one for inside and one for outside and set them differently. its what i did

2-3 outside 30 Inside :evil:

No 2-3 outside and only a couple inside one on the landing and and one in the living/dining room
Just buy an 8 way.
everything you want to do is standard fair for even a half decent model.

This way you also have additional capacity if you want extra camera's later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back