Going to try my hand at plastering again!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I attempted some plastering last year in my kitchen. When I knocked the old tiles off the wall, half the plaster came with it.

I PVA'ed it and plastered using a bag I had in the shed for a few years.

It did end up cracking a bit but as I was tiling over it, it wasn't such an issue.

There was a very small section that needed to be to a good finish and after learning my lessons from previously and having a look on google and youtube I gave it a go.

It still cracked in places but not horrendously as it did under my tiles.

I know a lot of factors do come in with this.

Was it PVA'ed? - Yes

Did it dry too quickly due to the temperature of the room? - Maybe

Was the plaster old? - Yes

I want to try again as I think that apart from my setbacks, I didn't do such a bad job for a beginner.

I have 3 sections of wall to plaster.

2 are cement rendered and the third is plasterboard.

None are more that a metre square.

I believe the plaster I used had been sitting in my shed too long but before I go and buy some more, does anyone have any advice on what type of plaster would be the best for the job I'm doing?

From memory the plaster I used before was your standard finishing plaster (Pink stuff). I have a bag of Knauf Dry Wall finishing plaster (White) that a plasterer used years back to plaster over some old heating vents for me.

Is there a recommended plaster that is more suited to a novice plasterer as myself for such small sections?

Please see photo of the wall I need to plaster.

Sponsored Links
Bonding and finishing plaster from one of the sheds...less than £20 and the job will be fine...bin the old stuff.

Multi-Finish for both.
The rendered areas need two coats of PVA. Coat one left to dry, coat two left to go tacky. Then apply two coats of multi.

Old plaster goes off far too quickly, that was likely your issue.

I'd PVA the wall to kill the suction,, let it dry,,
then PVA again,, then put on a coat of Bonding plaster while the PVA is still tacky.
That wall is far too uneven to use just multi finish, in my opinion. Once the Bonding coat has set, then finish with multi finish. Don't forget to tape any joints too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

Do I need to wait until the bonding coat is completely dry or do I apply the multi finish while its stick tacky i.e. backing coat then finishing coat.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back