Good 9.5 kw electric shower

The reason i asked for you post a picture is to try to avoid any of this.

Your electrician may have said its ok as it is because he knows what he's looking at, and i picture will let me see whats there too. Could you do that?

And as i said, Mira Vie 9.5kw.

Sponsored Links
do you really think he would carry out the work at the risk of losing his business if it were dodgey?
if I had said he was fitting an rcd I would have been told it's unesesarry

No ivory clique, no sarcastic remarks.
I am a qualified, registered electrician. (not to found on any rated tradesmen's site, but can be found on the governments competent persons site and the electrical safety register)

I tell you the truth, when I walk through your door!
I do things correctly and safely.
I care about my clients safety, I care about their property, I care about their neighbours and I care about the visitors/guest they have in their property.

If your guy has not informed you that you require an RCD, it could be that you have an existing one, it could be they do not know the requirement to RCD protect rooms containing showers/baths or to follow the MI.
It's your shout pal, I am only sticking my nose in your business, but with your best interests in mind.

do you really think he would carry out the work at the risk of losing his business if it were dodgey?
if I had said he was fitting an rcd I would have been told it's unesesarry

No ivory clique, no sarcastic remarks.
I am a qualified, registered electrician. (not to found on any rated tradesmen's site, but can be found on the governments competent persons site and the electrical safety register)

I tell you the truth, when I walk through your door!
I do things correctly and safely.
I care about my clients safety, I care about their property, I care about their neighbours and I care about the visitors/guest they have in their property.

If your guy has not informed you that you require an RCD, it could be that you have an existing one, it could be they do not know the requirement to RCD protect rooms containing showers/baths or to follow the MI.
It's your shout pal, I am only sticking my nose in your business, but with your best interests in mind.

Thanks, I appreciate it and will take on board what you say.

Sponsored Links
I got via a rated tradesman website
That does not mean he/she is any good, in fact the matter they are registered with such a site, would indicate they have no work on, which would make you wonder why?

Well they have reviews off customers, photos of their work etc. customer reviews would be a good guage for telling how good they are I would have thought.

Dude - you really have no idea how those websites work do you?

Those reviews are not worth a warnk seriously.

Believe it or not your safety is important to us. Whether you like the tone of the posts or not. You have not been lied to by anyone on this forum, and none of us tradesmen have anything to gain by giving you this advice.

Well they have reviews off customers, photos of their work etc. customer reviews would be a good guage for telling how good they are I would have thought.

I will accept, it possible that you may find some tradespeople on these sites, that have good knowledge, ability, experience, skill, competency etc... in the field they are offering their services.
But don't be naive in thinking the reviews mean anything or are even genuine.
The best way to source a good trades-person, is by word of mouth, this means actually speaking someone you know (and trust) that has had work done and can genuinely vouch for this trades-person. I know it is not always possible, but then I would get three-four quotes from the trades-person you require. That will then give a fair idea in cost and hopefully one or two of them may mention, in this case the requirements for RCD.
It could be that you believe you may have not got this device fitted, but it is actually installed, in that case you may not need one and the electrician has spotted this. If you could upload pictures of your distribution board and the shower circuit plus the earth arrangement.
I and others and here could offer you more informed reply regarding that.
As far as the recommendation of electric showers, I would generally stick to Mira or Triton brands. They do go wrong as does everything.
But I have been fortunate enough to experience very few cases of needing to replace parts or full units of newly installed equipment. And generally if when reaching the age where remedial work is required the parts have been easy enough to source. But your budget will most likely restrict the range of what can be purchased. But remember the information I gave earlier regarding cable sizing and fuse ratings for the output rating of the shower.
If you chose a shower before purchasing it, it is generally possible to view the manufactures instructions, these will tell you the fuse rating required, from that it is possible to calculate the cable size (hopefully without any de-rating factors)

Those reviews are genuine but mean little unless comparing the same work.

I was looking at very bad reviews of Mr Clutch local business.

They were all bad reviews just except one. He gave a good review but when you saw what they had done it was not a clutch repair but only a replacement clutch cable which is a very simple job indeed!

Most of the people who are registered on that site in the major cities are non UK people, East Europeans or Indians/Pakistanis. They do the work far cheaper than anyone with a UK mortgage which is why I could never get any work from one of those sites.

Tony

I recently hired a local builder from this site. All excellent customer reviews, photos of his work with him on the photos. The work he did on our window frame because the bricks above were sagging and letting in water due to incompetent botch of previous house owner not putting the small rsj above the window frame. He took out all the bricks above bedroom window, put waterproof linear in as well as rsj and did a champion job. Excellent price too. He has his own scaffolding and didn't charge for it like a lot of builders do. So I have to disagree to some extent. Of course you will get the element that may abuse the site for their own unscrupulous gain.

Perhaps you were lucky.

Also far from the big cities its probably not so bad.

I actually used it to have some trees cut down.

Had about four quotes all from East Europeans about £500 - £750.

Then had an English one from some way away. Told him he could come and do it for the same £500.

He came and did a good job although most cutting was done by his Brazillian man! Started about 10 am and did not finish until nearly 10 pm!

So why did I not want the foreigners?

That's quite simple! The trees were within falling radius of public road and there is an overhead telephone line on the other side so the work needed to be done carefully which I could not trust foreigners to do.

Tony

I suppose in some cases foreigners have excellent skills. Look at the Polish, a lot are hard working and talented.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back