Good Old Plasma Screen V Cheap New LCD

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Hitachi 42PD7200, which is about 12 years old. It still works great. I am in the process of moving house and thinking of getting rid of it due to lack of space, and one recently sold for £40 on ebay, but am wondering, will I regret it after I have extended my house? I have a 55 inch LG 4k screen, and a 29 inch LF HD screen, so unlikely to need a 3rd TV any time soon. But, if I did get one (it'll be for the kids to play xbox etc in a playroom) it would be cheap, e.g. a 32 inch Blaupunkt from Tesco for £149.00.

So, I was just wondering, in terms of picture quality alone, esp. for xbox etc. how do these compare? Would the new cheap one look just as good, or even better, than the ancient £2000 one?

The good old tele:
IMG_20170622_200735567.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sometimes, the DSP functions of the more expensive TVs seem so much better than that of the cheap ones - this is a different thing to the screen technology. Ghosting and chunking of fast moving edges etc. Only way of knowing is to watch it or maybe read reviews. Given screen panels are only made by 2 or 3 manufacturers, there must be some other differentiating features between brands. Audio/speaker quality is another

Nozzle

Last edited:
I see where you're going wrong. An expensive TV won't improve Disney, its still Disney.

Sponsored Links
Its for the kids, honest!

Stick with the current TV, the cheaper newer LCD ones are rubbish in comparison to plasma.For gaming on the xbox etc. that TV will be fine as long as it has the HDMI ports req'd.

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_
Have a look on the back of the plasma screen, and look at the wattage (it'll be about 500 watts) and then compare it to a new screen (about 95 watts), and that might help your decision.

Plasmas always gave the best picture, but it'll also depend on whether you want any services such as Netflix.

Good plasma wins for me. Yes a bit more power, my 37" panasonic uses 241 watts.

£149 buys a good amount of TV time/electricity wastage, if you keep what you have.

Also, if watching any SD [standard definition] programmes, they are better on plasma.
XBOX1 is superb.

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_
Sponsored Links
Back