Good place to bulk-buy garden chemicals?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With ~1 acre in total and a lawn of a few hundred square metres, my purchasing of weedkiller and lawn treatment is on a different sale from "buy a pre-mixed weedkiller spray bottle" at my last place ;)

I'm guessing I'll want to buy lawn-treatment by the sack or bucket, I've not seen concentrated weedkiller (RoundUp et al) in bigger than about 1L though obviously even that goes quite far.

Where is good for the sort of quantities I'm after? Any of the big-name retailers? Online? Or find a good local garden centre? Last spring in somewhat of a rush I settled on Wilko, which certainly seems cheap but not the biggest range.

Do these things keep if I end up with half a sack come winter?

Sponsored Links
I used to buy from a local gardening club, as a member. They bought in large quantities, like a park or contractor might, and measured out for members. This is apparently permitted as long as you provide the safety warnings, usage instructions and ingredients list (which they copied from the manufacturers documentation.

Perhaps there is a similar club near you.

I have also bought stuff from agricultural and horticultural suppliers. Horse owners often buy there and they keep stuff for paddocks, and certain ailments, in sacks or tubs.

BTW, neglected grassland can be greatly improved for weeds and pests by frequent mowing. Not many plants can withstand having their heads chopped off every week.

AFAIUI the rules on garden chemicals say that quite a number of them may only be sold to people who have the appropriate training, equipment, insurance, etc; basically professionals. This applies to concentrated versions of glyphosate (basically the only weedkiller allowed domestically).

I have heard of people buying 5L containers of 360 g/L glyphosate (much more concentrated than normal) from Amazon, but I just had a look at the largest I could see was 2L of this, e.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elixir-Gardens-Glyphosate-Commercial-Complimentary/dp/B071GVC33M/

That item says "For Uncertified Use" and "NO knapsack certificate needed", so perhaps this quantity is permitted for domestic sale. That also says "Dilute at 24ml per 1 Litre of water to treat an area of 40 sq/m, which give some idea of the concentration.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back