Goodbye OIL (Ed: I want to install a heat pump)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks! With no gas available in our little village, the residents have relied upon oil fired central heating for many decades, but now things are changing. In short, we're installing an air-source heat pump system early next year (yes, I'm well aware of the drawbacks and limitations, but...) and I want to make a start on stripping out all the old rads and pipes, leaving only the hot water cylinder running on the oil boiler. So...
1. Is this possible?
2. Can a very competent DIYer do this?
Thanks in advance! :)

Sponsored Links
If you are totally committed to a heat pump why not scrap the oil boiler system entirely and heat your water cylinder with an immersion heater - after first super-insulating it.

Ah, thanks Jackrae! I neglected to mention that the hot water cylinder that's currently heated by the old oil boiler will also be removed, eventually, but with circa 500L of kerosene to use up, I thought I might keep it operational until just before the switch to the heat pump system, which will include a new electric hot water storage tank.
I really just want all the old, sludged-up rads out of the way so I can redecorate the walls before the new ones are fitted. Replastering is required in several areas too.
Thanks again for your reply!
Olly

Hi folks! With no gas available in our little village, the residents have relied upon oil fired central heating for many decades, but now things are changing. In short, we're installing an air-source heat pump system early next year (yes, I'm well aware of the drawbacks and limitations, but...) and I want to make a start on stripping out all the old rads and pipes, leaving only the hot water cylinder running on the oil boiler. So...
1. Is this possible?
2. Can a very competent DIYer do this?
Thanks in advance! :)

If it's a standard two pipe plumbed system, start by removing the least essential radiators first, fitting blanking caps to the original radiator valves.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Harry. Forgive my ignorance on this topic, but can I just wind the lockshield valves shut and then remove the radiator and drain it?
Olly

It's literally that simple but you might have to slow down the circulating pump or at least ensure there's a circulating loop. Be prepared for black oily sludge to come out of the radiators or you'll need a whole new set of carpets as well.

No carpets to worry about, fortunately/unfortunately. We're way off having those unashamed luxuries around us! :-/
Thanks for your advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back