Granite imperfection question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

Today we were to have granite worktops fitted in our kitchen. The granite is "galaxy black" which is black with copper flecks in.

Upon arrival we noted that there was a patch about the size of a jam jar lid that appeared to be rougher in texture, it certainly felt like the very top of the surface had "come away" when being polished etc and was therefore slightly lower than the surrounding area.

Has anyone else come across this as the supplier suggested it was "natural"

Cheers

Need Help21

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I don't think that this is correct or 'natural'. In my opinion the surfaces should be dead billiard-table flat, as near as wotsit. You will have trouble with things standing on it, liquids collecting in it, and the eternal sight of it.

It isn't natural, granite doesn't come out of the ground in 30mm polished sheets. Is this solid granite, or a board backed granite veneer? Neither should have a dent in it. Raise this with the head man.

Kes, thanks for your advice. It is solid granite, however the head man was not on site. I have therefore rejected it. It def feels slightly rough as if the very top was lifted during polishing

Need - you were quite right in rejecting this. Ganite worktops should have a DEAD FLAT polished surface WITHOUT the type of 'imperfection' or 'natural' fault as described. Yes, granite is a natural material but any 'natural imperfections' or what most sane or right-minded people would describe as 'character', should/could only be within the grain of the material - things like flecks or veins. What you've described is a fault, probably a large slither of surface material which has lifted off during polishing..

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I am going to visit the granite suppliers tomorrow to discuss what they propose to do. I am visiting them with a balanced, open mind to resolve this, but also with a view to what options I have should they decline to offer to do anything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back