grant for new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old central heating/hot water boiler has gone kaput and I accepted a quote from a local firm to update with a Combi.

Being over 70 I discovered I qualified for a £300 Grant but when I asked the fitter if they could accept this £300 voucher (from Warmfront) he said as they will charge him £50 to redeem this he could only allow me £250 but finally changed his mind, saying he would stand the charge.

I think this charge to him is excessive and unfair, how do other professionals handle it?

Sponsored Links
Ha Ha. You are right, and we all wait 4 weeks for our £250.

Meanwhile the company that doles out the vouchers, EAGA, carries out most of the full grant work (£3000+) using their own group of installation companies. They did over £30 Million pounds worth last year.

EAGA state that they offer the best value for the Government and the best quality standards of work.

They are not interested in the £300 grant work installations though. They only think their 'best value' should apply when 99% of the nation's heating installers are prevented from bidding!

I think that if their claims of best value are to be taken seriously, they should be made to competitively quote for all the £300 voucher jobs too. [/b]

Sponsored Links
Besides the above mentioned issues, the quality of both materials and workmanship of warmfront installs often is atrocious. At well over £3000 for a like for like boilerswap, replacing the existing boiler with an ideal, is hardly value for money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back