Grass hardly grows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I'm wondering why my grass hardly grows, last week I heavily raked the lawn, aerated it with a fork (wasn't the easiest so wonder if soil is heavily compacted) and added some top dress & seed.

Watered it this week when we had no rain, tested the soil ph which is around 6.5 and I'm thinking I should be seeing a nice green lawn by now.

Am I expecting too much too soon?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's compacted, then watering it won't do a great deal. If it still hasn't grown after you've had a good downpour, and a bit of warmth, then you've got a problem. Have you fed the lawn though, as they need food as well as water.

Sponsored Links
If you've just overseeded, it'll take up to four weeks before there's decent growth IMO. As above, have you added any lawn feed to help with growth?

I overseeded our lawn about a month ago. I put down lawn feed at the same time. Only this week did I see any new shoots. Meanwhile the rest of the lawn had doubled in height.

As others have said you must feed it. If you have overseeded by sure not to use a feed and weed 2 in1 type product as that will stop or at least damage the seed from germinating.

How often should it be fed?

Quarterly we have someone come and treat it, like green thumb but it's not green thumb.

Thanks

That's plenty. Its important to fed a lawn in conjunction with scarifying. Your giving the grass quite a battering so its needs some help to recover. Ideally you would have fed it before doing it but if it hasn't been done recently see if you can bring your next feed forward and do it asap.

I didn't realise but the lawn man came on Wednesday, I scarrified 3 days prior so hopefully it's not too bad

I reseeded part of my lawn recently to fill in some bare patches.

The blurb on the back of the grass seed box featured the promise "new growth within 7 to 10 days". Its actually taken well over two weeks for new shoots to appear, and that's with watering every day when there's no rain.

As others have said, give it a good while longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back