Removing Perennial Grass Weed and sowing new

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

my garden lawn has been attacked by perennial grass weed and what was once lush dark green has what looks like over growing patches of light green grass.

what is the best remedy for removing the grass weed? Is it the case of spraying a glyphosate weed killer, digging up the patches and sowing new seed and excessive watering?

also is there a really good recommendation on sowing grass seeds during this nice weather we have? Is it the case of seed, rake top soil and water everyday?

thanks all for the help!

Jazz

Sponsored Links
glyphosate will kill everything, a selective would be best.

I bought dicophar -but for a small lawn just buy some retail selective weedkiller, it is called weedol these days I think

I use one of those pump up sprayers with a wand and just spray the weedy areas.

for seed -cut the lawn short so the grass seed lands on the soil.

I would wait and do the seeding leading up to a rainy period.

my biggest problem is the pigeons eating the seed.

Edit

I have taken away my earlier reply

you say it is a "weed" grass that you want to remove. A coarse, tall, thick stemmed thing, perhaps?

In that case my advice to use a lawn weedkiller was wrong, because it's a grass you need to kill. Glyphosate will do it. You can apply it with a paintbrush or a gel applicator, or iy will kill your desired grass. It will be quite fiddly.

If you want to reseed, mix your seed with peat and grit sand. Birds only eat seeds they can see, not the ones covered up.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi JohnD,

Yes coarse, tall, thick, stemmed thing, in large clumps.

When would be the best time to reseed once Glyphostate is applied? Prior to reseeding would it be best to dig up the patch that is left once its died? or is it okay to reseed with it still there withering away?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back