Grass over-seeding suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We had our entire lawn re-turfed a couple of years ago to level it all and get rid of the widespread moss, weeds, old tree roots, etc. No idea if it was a good or bad job but we’ve been left with a lawn that is patchy at best. Most of it has a very, very fine grass that doesn’t grow and turns yellow underneath. The areas that have less traffic are pretty lush and green but still a bit patchy.

I wonder if we’ve ended up with any one of a few issues due to either bad installation, wrong early care by me, wrong/poor turf, etc.

Regardless, I’ve been trying to remedy it the last two years and getting nowhere. I had an inflatable pool set up for the whole summer and the large circle of dead grass that left has grown back better than some of the original turf!

Finally, I’ve also got a couple of patches of course weed grass trying to take hold.

So, I’m looking for recommendations for proven grass seed options for over-seeding that is family friendly (ie will tolerate football, rugby, all-in-wrestling on dad, etc!) Ideally something we can sow and still use the lawn

I’ve used https://www.greengardener.co.uk/shop/organic-lawn-products/lawn-repair-sticks.html before which was pretty good at repairing the patch from the pool. Before I purchase again, any other/better suggestions from people’s experience?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back