Over seeding a lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I plan to over seed our lawn once the weather warms up a little, probably wait a couple of weeks.

My intention was to cut the grass fairly short first, then sow the new grass seeds. I was wondering to help the seeds along, should I scatter the grass cuttings over the new seeds to help compost/ protect from the birds?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't know how big the lawn is but for repairs i applied a top dressing of john innes type top soil, roll it, spread the seed, put another thin layer of top soil on and roll that. That protects the seed from the birds. Water copiously at all stages and afterwards for a few days. Picked that up of all places during a visit to Buckingham palace and observed the ground staff working on HM’s back lawn.

Blup

ordinary garden birds don't eat seeds they can't see. So even a light scattering of grit and peat, to cover, will protect them, and will not flatten or damage the existing grass.

I don't know why only a few birds, such as chickens, scrape up the surface with their claws looking for food.

If you cut the existing grass to half an inch or so first, it will be "bristly" and will stick up through your top dressing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back