too late to sow grass seed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having given my lawn a good low cut (after a long while) I've noticed quite a few bare patches. I was wondering if I could sow grass seed in the bare patches and maybe overseed where the grass is a bit thin? While it is quite cold, the ground is almost permanently damp. what's the best way of going about planting seed - raking, fertiliser, seed? should seed be the last thing on top, or should i put something over it to stop the wildlife from eating it all.

Also have huge bare areas underneath the apple trees. I assume that's because there is no light getting to the grass. Is the seed for shaded areas any good, or a waste of time. Speaking of which, what is the best brand/kind of seed? (lawn has general use and is not particularly great looking as there is quite a bit of wild grass that pops up when it's not ben cut for a month.)

thanks folks.

Sponsored Links
I'm not an expert with grass but will try to answer you best I can going from my own experience.

Yes you can sow seed now for another couple of weeks or so but best be quickish. Most books will tell you to sow no later than mid September but I'm on the south coast and weather milder these days.
It will shoot and green up a little before the winter but will thicken up more next Spring.
I just raked over the ground and stamped it down to make it firm and then sprinkled the seed generously [the usual rate is 1 to 2 oz. per sq yard], over the area then watered it in if no rain forecast. Birds might get some but it won't matter. I think you can get seed already coated with a bird repellent, I'm not sure.
I never bothered with fertilizer and used a hard wearing, none too fussy middle of the range perennial rye grass mixture - can't remember it's name but I wasn't after a bowling green.

Perhaps pruning away some of the lower branches of your apple trees might help with growth there otherwise I would just sprinkle some seed again being generous over the area and see what happens.

Important to sow seed along the edges too, generously, as sometimes they get missed and then you have gaps.

Germination takes 10-14 days.

thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go this weekend and see what happens. There's no frost yet, and apart from the strong winds, it's not too cold. I'm hoping that the persistent rain and generally damp conditions will help.

Sponsored Links
it occasionally goes below 5 some nights, but daytime it's nearer 11. does the odd below 5 night count in amongst a number of days when the temperature is above 5?

might still work pn the bare patches if you cover the newly seeded area with glass / clear plastic to act as a mini greenhouse.

might still work pn the bare patches if you cover the newly seeded area with glass / clear plastic to act as a mini greenhouse.

Or a restaraunt for slugs :(

get it in and dress with a N and P mixture (nitrogen and phoshate)

watch out for them slugs and snails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back