gravel over gravel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've got an area about 4 metres square at the side of the house but separate from it. It's got gravel on it with a membrane under that. Three and a half sides are bounded by fences and gravel boards, the last bit just has a couple of inches deep concrete lip at the same level more or less as the gravel. Over time we've lost a bit of gravel down an adjoining slope before we had the fences and gravel boards so the level is down a bit..
I've got most of a tonne bag of gravel left over from another job so I wondered about putting it on this area. It's different from the existing gravel, looks a bit better and more modern, a gold colour instead of the old grey. At first I thought I could take off the existing gravel then spread the new stuff but (a) it's a lot of messing about and (b) I've nowhere really to put the old gravel.
Any thoughts on what if I just chucked the new gravel over the old? Would it get all mixed together (bad) or would the new stuff stay on top (good)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Regards from Terry.

Sponsored Links
You could buy another bag and put the old stuff in that, paying someone to dispose of it.
Or offer it on Facebook/freecycle

There are online calculators to allow you to estimate an amount by HxWxD

Sponsored Links
foxhole, thanks, yeah wondered about that. I actually have some membrane.

Tigercubrider, thanks. I had a Tiger Cub in the late 60's! Yeah I could bag it up, I've got three bags, counting the one with the new gravel in it, so that's an idea.

Terry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back