Gravel path - Bit of a dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've made a bit of a rod for my own back and need help finding a solution.

I had an outbuilding constructed. I asked them to dig a bit deeper for extra head height on the inside, so the building is below ground level and the cladding is level with the grass adjacent. I'm now planning to put a path round the outside, and have a bit of a dilemma to solve.

I've excavated 10cm all the way round ready for a gravel path, but that will take me right up to the level of the cladding (as shown in the picture).

Should I leave about 10cm between the building and the gravel to allow airflow under the cladding? Or can I just whack the gravel right up to the underside of the cladding (likely touching the side in some places as it moves around over time)? Will it hold water and rot much faster without the air gap?

If I need a barrier, what would be good for this? Some kind of metal lawn edging?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• WhatsApp-Image-2023-12-01-at-19.31.jpg
    WhatsApp-Image-2023-12-01-at-19.31.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
Probably wise to leave a gap.
Rather than lawn edging, what about driveway grids? you fill them with gravel.
You might want to use a weed membrane too.

Probably wise to leave a gap.
Rather than lawn edging, what about driveway grids? you fill them with gravel.
You might want to use a weed membrane too.
Thanks. I think you're right, no reason to avoid an air gap. Just looking for shortcuts!

I should have clarified that ideally I'd do stepping stones in the gravel, and I'm not sure the driveway grid would work with that (unless you can put slabs on those?).

Definitely going for weed memrane.

Sponsored Links
You cannot dig deeper to make a sunken path?
Sadly I can't, because for the outbuilding to meet regulation max height (2.5m) the adjacent ground needs to be at the level of the grass.

This is my penance for setting it deeper and trying to get an extra half foot height inside the room (I'm a tall guy).

You can slab onto the driveway grid but that makes it higher or cut the grid around your slabs so they will sit level with the gravel. That avoids any further build up than you need.

Last edited:
I still think AquaCrates or Eco-crates or whatever design you like could be a good solution to making the pathway and allowing for rainwater run-off - They'd help support a lawn edge, too. Fill 'em with gravel. Done.

The height of 2.5m is measured from natural ground level. That doesn't change if you dig out a sunken path. It's not measured from the changed ground level, but from the natural ground level.

The height of 2.5m is measured from natural ground level. That doesn't change if you dig out a sunken path. It's not measured from the changed ground level, but from the natural ground level.
Now this is interesting info! That changes things. Thanks for the perspective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back