Gravity Fed HW Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having problems with my HW/CH system. The boiler is a Glow Worm Spacesaver MKII (GC No 41-313-54). The HW is gravity fed and the CH is pumped. I have not been able to find any port valve or actuators so assume each system is stand alone, also there are 4 pipes going to the boiler itself. There is a F&E Tanks in the loft so guess the system is an open vented system

With the programmer switched to HW only it takes some time (approx 2 hours) before the water gets hot. I have also noted that the radiator in the bathroom gets warm at the bottom.

With the programmer switched to HW & CH, the rads get hot pretty quick, but once again the HW appears to be slow in getting hot.

Once the room stat switches the CH off the rads begin to cool; all except the rad in the bathroom as this remains hot.

Also if the HW is heated via the immersion heater the rad in the bathroom gets warm at the bottom.

Can anyone help identify my problem and assist with me fixing it – thanks in advance

Chris

Sponsored Links
Sounds like air or no water in your heating system at the flow to the cylinder.

Have you checked there is water in the F&E tank? Or,if there is water there could be a blockage on the cold feed.

Make sure the ball valve in the F&E tank is not jammed by moving it about.

Other than that the primaries to the cylinder could be blocked.

I have checked the system for air and it is clear. There is also water feed to the cylinder ok. I still need to confirm in the primary circuit is blocked or not. I have read somewhere a gravity check valve is required on the heating flow pipe, but I am unable to locate one. Is there a difference between a gravity check valve and a non-return valve and should I have one fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back