Gravity fed thermostatic mixer shower pulsing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, 1st time posting to DIYnot and I've searched the Wiki with no luck so apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere (and if so could you point me in the right direction - ta).

I have recently refurbished our en suite and am having a problem with the thermostatic bar mixer shower. When turned on, the pressure in the shower oscilates from good to poor and back again (at about 3 second intervals). I've found that if I remove the shower head tube from the mixer unit and let the shower run for 10 or 20 seconds this seems to fix the problem, but would rather not have to do this each morning. From elsewhere, it read that it could be air in the pipes causing this but unsure as to how to confirm / eliminate this.

Briefly, it's a gravity fed system. CW tank in loft, HW cylinder on same floor as shower. 15mm pipework running from respective tanks (i.e. up from HW cylinder) across loft joists and then drops down to the back of the shower which is a thermostatic mixer.

When I've run the water straight form the mixer unit and re-connect the hose the pressure is absolutely fine (not bad considering that the vertical measurement from the bottom of the CW tank to the shower head is approx 1m giving a mighty 0.1 bar pressure!) so I'd rather not go down the new system route (i.e. unvented) or install pump (little one on way and don't want the noise etc), plus another shower in the main bathroom works fine off the same system (but isn't a mixer shower).

One thing I've tried was to increase the HW tank temperature from 65oC to 70oC as I read that the thermostatic mixers like a hotter input - either way, this didn't work other than to ensure that I had a lovely hot shower (following the 'mixer drain' fix - clearly). Another thing I'm going to try tonight is to look at the mains / ballcock feed onto the CW tank in the loft, my logic being that if this has crusted up (limescale) then when the shower is on, cold water may be being used up at a more substantial rate than is being refilled, and therefore there is reducing levels in the CW tank producing less pressure in the HW tank meaning reduced HW flow and may cause the mixer to panic and start all thos pulsing......just a thought.

Thanks in advance, didn't appreciate that this post was going to be this long, any helps / tips / advice appreciated. As I said, I put this bathroom in myself so although I'm a scientist by trade I'm happy to tackle any solutions you can throw at me - cheers!

Sponsored Links
pulsing is normally a sign of a sticking non return valve and I would put your hot water back to 60c, where did you read that thermostatic mixers worked better with a higher temperature ?

pulsing is normally a sign of a sticking non return valve and I would put your hot water back to 60c, where did you read that thermostatic mixers worked better with a higher temperature ?

Cheers Picasso, I can't remember where I saw the increase in temperature idea I'm afraid - stumbled across it when searching for a solution, but to be honest I was more than a little dubious how increasing temp by 5oC would solve the problem. Would the non-return valve be inside the mixer itself (and therefore as it's new may just need a bit or regular use / wear to free it up)? as I haven't seen any other types of valves on any of the pipework?

it sounds you havent got enough pressure to hold the non return valves open, especially when you put the head back on, what make and model of shower is it ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back