Great news for working families with children

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Obviously a pre-election magic trick, but for me this is one of the best, direct piece of action this lingering government has provided. It's a massive boost for families who choose to work and dare to raise a child. It's the first positive story I've read in our daily diet of bad news.

For me personally, with my wife (nurse) having to cut down to part time hours and us both facing a £600 a month childminder bill, this is a massive millstone from our necks. I really hope it comes into force with no caveats.

Sponsored Links
:LOL: yes I'm waiting for them, but not managed to find any ominous hints yet in any of the news stories.

Sponsored Links
Yes term time only as it is currently for three and four year olds. I think the average is then worked out for the rest of the year minus the term weeks.

Yep, you can use the hours as you like, as long as they're all used within the relevant tax year.

We'll all look forward to Ellals nit-picking and alternative childcare suggestions when it’s officially announced later then - unless of course it’s good news when he/she will quietly melt into the background.

For us, £600 a month for just three days' care a week was going to hit us very hard. So much so, the prospect of my wife stopping work altogether (so we could get further support) was something we looked at, but decided against. We just couldn't see how we were going to afford to safely live month-to-month. This seemed unfair when we live fairly frugally and sensibly.

If this support is rolled out as I understand it, she'll very likely go back to full time and the stretched trust she works for will re-gain an extra day from a nurse and we re-gain 20% of her pay.

Forgive me, but children should be raised at home by their mothers. Women shouldn't have to go to work but this government wants to screw every penny possible out of as many working people possible. As a couple you might struggle without her wage but with a properly conservative government that should be covered by lower tax on your earnings as well as by not paying millions of layabouts to do nothing year in, year out.

This is yet another unconservative act by our unconservative government.

Also, "childcare provision" is a term straight out of 1984. You are effectively handing over your child into state brainwashing at its most impressionable age.

My Mum didn't work from when I was born, it was my Dad who earned the money but I know he did overtime every week and he worked bl**dy hard in what he did -- we didn't even own our TV. Eventually Mum returned to work when I was about eight or nine.

In an ideal world, I suppose it would be nice for him to have the full nurturing support of his mother, but he'd do better building relationships with other children and --my wife does actually want to work as she enjoys her job! It also means that's two economically active people earning and working. I just wish they'd drop the idea of keeping our necks barely above water. Having a child was our own decision of course, but the role of a state is to ensure the future growth of its population. The £21 a week we get every week is a help (and I'm grateful!) but it's gone up about a fiver in the 30 odd years since I was born. In the reality of Tory 2023 Britain, it doesn't go far!

Forgive me, but children should be raised at home by their mothers.
Except when the kids are out sweeping chimneys. Layabout children being being paid not to work, whatever next...

There's 1000's of photo's of the classic US 1950's family showing Mom & Pops with the 2.4 children on the driveway of their suburban 3 bed detached with a nice new car in the garage & bicycles propped up against the wall. Pa left the dirt farm for a job in the big city auto plant, dragging his high school sweetheart along with him. Ma wears a frilly apron like her Ma back home, but she has a modern kitchen to bake in while she waits for the kids to come home from school.

The most unbelievable thing in these photo's in todays perspective is the fact that all of that could be achieved on 1x income.

The most unbelievable thing in these photo's in todays perspective is the fact that all of that could be achieved on 1x income.

My house sold for £26k in 1996, which was around twice the annual salary of man my age in that year (which was around £1,280 a month*). That house price was pretty average then. I don't think that wage includes London/

We bought ours' for £150k (6x my salary at the time) and it's since been valued at £200k before we did the extension.

Now interest rates have gone up, how would a working man or woman afford to buy a house on a typical salary?

* data available at https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/tran...nformationfoi/averagesalarybetween1980and1997

Sponsored Links
Back