Green Bean Plant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My grandson planted a single bean (variety unknown) into a pot as a school project and has now grown to a height of about 4ft in my conservatory. There were lots of blossom along the full height of the plant, but only 2 bean pods have grown at about 6in from the bottom. These pods are about 6in in length and swelling nicely.
Why only 2 bean pods? The plant is well watered and looking healthy. It hasn't been fed, only watered. Is there anything I can do to encourage other beans to grow?

Cheers - Doug

Sponsored Links
It may well need feeding. Are there any other bean buds. Normally, when there are flowers (but will they turn to beans), the energy goes into the flowers rather than the beans.

Could it be that the flowers haven't been pollinated? Do pollinating insects have access to your conservatory? If not - you could hand pollinate with a small brush.

Thanks for your inputs - Ill try some tomato feed I already have, but think its a bit late now the plant is maturing.
As for pollination, having 2 healthy bean pods suggests the pollinators have been around.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your inputs - Ill try some tomato feed I already have, but think its a bit late now the plant is maturing.
As for pollination, having 2 healthy bean pods suggests the pollinators have been around.
yes - it suggests pollinators have visited those 2 flowers, but it doesn't suggest that any of the other flowers have been pollinated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back