Cucumbers brown and shriveling

C

Coniferman

Growing cucumbers (and tomatoes) for the first year. Have already had about 6 cucumbers and very nice they were too. However (without trying to sound greedy) only one or two cucumbers seem to grow per plant at one one time. Although there are lots more they seem to go brown and shrivel up before they get to about 2 or 3 cm. I'm thinking it is probably because they sometimes get too hot - they are in containers in a conservatory. (That or two much/little water??)

Just wondering if this is normal. Will the ones that have withered be replaced off the main stem? I'm getting some sideshoots that are starting to grow cucumbers too. I'm wondering whether to cut these off but I'm not sure if I should keep these if I won't get any more from the main shoot.

It is a "mainly female hybrid". I am removing any cuc's that have gone brown.

Sponsored Links
In my experience this is down to too much humidty, in which case you need to ventilate the greenhouse more, and or powdery mildew. For the later look for a covering of grey or black sooty powder on the plants. This can be treated with green sulpur, available from you garden centre.

nstreet said:
In my experience this is down to too much humidty,

That could very well be the problem. Thank you very much. It has become very humid on occassion. I had read that cucumbers like high humidity so hadn't considered it but I guess there are limits - the leaves were dripping wet at one point!!

Still not sure whether to cut the sideshoots off that are starting to flower as am not sure if sufficient new cucumbers will grow off the main shoot in place of the ones lost?? It does look like some are starting to grow again off the main stem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back