Green car grants get the go-ahead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The EU has approved the Low Carbon Fund, the UK government's system of grants for buyers of the cleanest-running vehicles.
The previous scheme, Powershift, collapsed 14 months ago amid fears that it breached rules on state aid, after distributing £14 million to new buyers.
"Incentives are a fundamental way to drive a market," said Christopher Macgowan of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders.
"The ruling has cleared the way for the Government to support the scheme as soon as possible and send a clear message to consumers."
Six new schemes had been submitted to the European Commission for approval with combined budgets of £24 million.
The Low Carbon Fund will distribute grants of between £300 and £1,000 for cars emitting less than 115 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometre.
Back 'on' for LPG conversions I wonder??
:cool:

Sponsored Links
Its better than nothing, but I think they should be increasing taxes on less efficient cars rather than having a grant scheme nobody will hear about.

I'd like to see fuel efficient cars 2/3 grand cheaper than normal cars.
Also the cost of running a car should increase by more each year than the cost of using public transport does.

From a personal point of view, if I'm looking to spend £12,000 on a car I expect to be able to get an energy effiecient one for £8,000-£9000
£300-£1000 isn't going to make me buy one.

JamesA said:
Its better than nothing, but I think they should be increasing taxes on less efficient cars rather than having a grant scheme nobody will hear about.

Also the cost of running a car should increase by more each year than the cost of using public transport does.

From a personal point of view, if I'm looking to spend £12,000 on a car I expect to be able to get an energy effiecient one for £8,000-£9000

On the radio this morning, Libdems want to increase car tax to £2000 for high emissions cars. This tax to fund tax cuts in other areas so it's not a source for extra revenue. Sounds like a good plan to me.

It will certainly help you convert to bi-fuel tho' if available.
....Transport for London offers a 100% discount on the £8 London Congestion Charge for vehicles on the PowerShift register. All it costs is a £10 annual registration fee (payable to Transport for London).
What is the PowerShift register?
The PowerShift register is the authoritative source for information regarding vehicles which are eligible for discount from the Transport for London congestion charge scheme.
Approval is based on the particular combination of vehicle (make, model and model year), equipment (either LPG, NG or Hybrid) and manufacturer or converter. Please check all these details carefully if you are considering buying a vehicle with the aim of receiving the congestion charge discount.
Full electric vehicles are not included on the PowerShift register as they are already exempt from the congestion charge scheme; owners still need to register their vehicles with Transport for London....

Quite inviting if you live / work in congestion zones - they will appear elsewhere, there has to be, imho, a relaxation for 'green' vehicles otherwise the revenue only idea will really stick.
So a grand off a conversion, 40% gain in fuel cost plus £8 or so a day, not bad is it?
;)

Sponsored Links
hermes said:
JamesA said:

On the radio this morning, Libdems want to increase car tax to £2000 for high emissions cars. This tax to fund tax cuts in other areas so it's not a source for extra revenue. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Ever spotted one of these elusive tax cuts? Here today, gone tomorrow. All rubbish unless the cost in one area is tied, or set in stone, with the reduction in another... It will never be, just like road fund licences - all grist to the reven-old well, it isn't new is it?
:D :D
Make the most of these glory days ... they too, come and go, the cost of fuel lurks, as always, malevolently in the background... :eek: It shocked us in the 70's There may be much worse to come.
:cry: :cry:

JamesA said:
Its better than nothing, I`d like to see fuel efficient cars 2/3 grand cheaper than normal cars.
You can see normal cars that much cheaper.......anywhere in the EU but Britain :LOL: :LOL:

I'm getting my car painted green if there's money in it.

joe

empip said:
It will certainly help you convert to bi-fuel tho' if available

How dare you!

I'll have you know young man, that my fuel is solidly hetero.

Bi fuel indeed!

I'll have none of this perverted petrol in my car, thank you very much.

Whatever is the world coming to?

Disgusted of Stockport.

hermes said:
empip said:
... :eek: It shocked us in the 70's There may be much worse to come.
:cry: :cry:

I reckon we are probably being 'had over' on the fuel thing... There we sit apparently rich, compliant, ready for plucking.

Look at the water situation, up goes the prices down goes the leaky old service... Up goes the profits !

NHS up goes salaries down goes service.

Tone said £3k Uni tuition fees will be better, ok, now just wait up will go the Lecturer's salary ... Oh, there goes the £3k ! Customer pays more for more of the same !

Sooner or later the penny will drop ..... We are slowly being fleeced !
;) :D :D

We are very 'compliant' as a nation... We should be fighting, shouting, screaming and laying siege to Downing street over the continual fleecing.

:eek:

empip said:
We are very 'compliant' as a nation... We should be fighting, shouting, screaming and laying siege to Downing street over the continual fleecing.

:eek:
but if you don't practice you can't very well preach, better to have a conscience than to not?

Practice what - fleecing? --
I am always complaining to them robbers in the smoke ...

What conscience? Why? Govn may have a conscience, but please do not use my taxes to salve it, if they care enough ask 'em to give up their privaleges in recognition of that, oh no .. they just take more for doing - less !!
:D :D

Sponsored Links
Back