Green coating under old wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am decorating a bedroom in a house built in 1912 and underneath the many layers of wallpaper is a green coating. Could this be old glue or dried paint? Does anyone know what it is and is it harmful?

Sponsored Links
Lots of old houses had the horrible green paint slapped straight onto the walls, sometimes even a grotty turquoise colour too.
Being that old it's highly likely to be lead based too so a decent face mask is a must if you're thinking of sanding it down

I'm thinking of just painting over it with emulsion. Would that be OK? There is very little of it on the wall. Most of it comes off with the wallpaper.

Don't just paint over it!
Speaking from experience, if most if it came off with the wallpaper, then the rest will come off when you try and paint it, or just flake off later when you think it's all done. :cry:
You could try sealing it well, but I'd get it all off or put lining paper over it.

Sponsored Links
what if I polybond it first? It's going to be the baby's room so I want to make sure it's safe.

If your going to put a new baby in the room, try and use waterbased undercoat/gloss/eggshell, and not the oilbased.

The oilbase paint fumes is harmful to new babies, and not just new either. :(

If the baby is not going in there for a month, or a couple of months, then oilbase is okay, but make sure there is loads of ventilation in the room even after the paint has dried.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back