Groaning boiler !! Savio/Biasi 428S

Well I am so confident that I would post a small but sufficient sample of sulphonic acid to the OP for free if it did not solve the problem BUT subject to a £5 payment if it did solve it, providing it was used correctly.

Of course I dont know what the problem is as I have not seen the boiler but it is the most likely cause based on my experience and relying on the description of the problem.

Anyone wanting to take bets?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Well Tony a quick look in the bottom of our 3 or 4 year old kettle, which hardly has a trace of limescale (despite us being tea addicts) tells me to get a bet on with you quick. :LOL:
Providing the op really is in merseyside of course.

Your kettle is not in the OP's boiler!

But what do you think it may be?

Answers in the CC if you wish!

Tony

PS It is NOT the fan!

PPS OP Exactly where are you or where does your water come from?

Seeing as the man has already said that the diverter was stripped and rebuilt not long ago that's where I would be looking.

As far as I know all of merseyside is supplied from north wales, lake vrnwy if that's the right spelling. As I said it's noted for being exceptionally soft water. You can top up car batteries round here with it no problem.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all - always entertaining on here. I am in Merseyside (Hoylake to be exact) and we dont have a water problem. It is really soft. A problem some years ago necessitated the heat exchanger to be taken out but was clean as a whistle with good flow when connected to a power hose.

I will try and identify a little closer where the noise is coming from and report back.. Thanks again.

SjH

Tony. How many times must I tell you it's sulfonic acid. Sulfamic acid is used to sweeten foodstuffs.

I don't know what Chris R was banging on about then. I thought he was supposed to know his stuff.

BTW, why did this issue suddenly start up?

Oh and where does the actual sound emanate from. Ketteling doesn't sound like groaning.

Sulphamic acid is a fairly strong acid used for descaling hot water systems and is a crystal like compound that is mixed with warm water and used to circulate around scaled up heat exchangers in commercial boilers! I have some in the shed! It may have other uses but the stuff I have is not for food stuffs!

Ps. If you google sulfamic acid then it comes up with a Wikipedia description! Hence the food connection. However the stuff in my shed is labelled Sulphamic acid!

Hi all, sorry for delay in getting back to you, lost a member of the family and have had no time etc.

OK, I have done some further investigating and am certain it is not a 'physical' noise, like a bearing, and am starting think along the lines of the DHW heat exchanger as several of you guys have suggested.

I think it was 83 who suggested the airplane soundalike, and yes it does sound like that. The diverter pin seems to move back to position quite smartly, so not sure that is the problem.

I have also noticed that the temp of the DHW is not as it was, which I think further suggests the HE may be the culprit?

I am quite competent, and experienced enough to remove the HE and give it a check and clean.

Tony Agile suggested that he may be willing to give/sell me a quantity of the acid stuff and I would like to take him up on the offer?

Tony, I will email you my address details? Keep an eye on your junk folder !

SjH

I think you may have sent me an email with your addess before but sometimes when it has come from the spam filter it gets lost.

This needs to get into the main heat exchanger while the boiler is running.

Send it again!

Tony

Yes, its all ready but I do have to give you instructions for using it and I am a bit busy at the moment.

Hopefully later this week.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back