Grohe Mixer Bar Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a mixer bar shower that often times, doesn't turn off completely when turned off. It leaks JUST enough to fire the flow switch on the combi so I need to fix it.

It regulates it's temperature fine, so it's not the TMV cartridge that's faulty (assuming it doesn't do everything).

The problem; I have no idea what model the shower is (I'm only assuming it's grohe because the only marking I've found, which is on the shower head, is Grohe.

I can't work out how to remove the right hand cap. I've popped the cap and undone the screw, but the handle doesn't seem to want to come off. There's a 3mm allen bolt under the TMV cartridge, but not under the one I can't remove.

So, the questions:

1. Any idea what make/model this shower is?
2. How do I remove the left hand cartridge/washer/whatever?

Thanks guys

IMG_0252.jpg IMG_0251.jpg

Sponsored Links
Measure the pipe distance most are 150mm if so buy a new shower.
You'll be able to buy a new shower cheaper than the cartridge especially if it is a grohe one

Yup, that was what I feared. I haven't checked but I think it probably has 150mm centres, it doesn't look that old.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. The Bristan Frenzy looks a lot nicer than the ABS one from VP - worries me slightly that it's made entirely from ABS too.

I probably would just buy the body though, the hose, rail and head are all perfectly fine - plus I don't want to have to re-drill the rail holes.

Once you've identified the model, you can search for a schematic that'll show you how the inlet cartridge is installed. You'll then know where you can apply force/descaling agent/lubricant to remove it and then whether it can be "eased"/serviced for reuse!

Once you've identified the model, you can search for a schematic that'll show you how the inlet cartridge is installed. You'll then know where you can apply force/descaling agent/lubricant to remove it and then whether it can be "eased"/serviced for reuse!
Thanks

I'd actually looked on their website, and scrolled through all their pictures of Grohe mixer bars, have emailed them.

Looking at their website, the flow cartridges don't actually look as expensive as I was expecting, so if they can confirm the correct part, I might just fix this one.

Thanks guys

If you are gonna take it on yourself then maybe worthwhile if the cartridge is cheap enough.

Personally I have never replaced a cartridge in a bar shower. It usually involves dismantling trying to identify cartridge, possibly order replacement return and fit. A lot of cartridges are nearly as much as a half descent bar mixer and it's quicker(therefore cheaper for customer) to replace the shower with a nice new shiny one

Yea, well on the link above, the 1/2" flow cartridge is only £20, and as I will be doing it myself, I may give the cartridge a punt (dependant on what they say in response to my email). It may still be a case of replacing the whole bar mixer. The TMV cartridges range from £120-£400, so clearly that would be an uneconomical repair, but for £20 I reckon it's worth a punt.

If it was one of the cheaper mixers on the market, I would have suggested replacing it, as it's a Grohe and the cartridge is not badly priced, then a replacement/repair seems worth the effort! I suppose the valve is out of warranty? Grohe might give a longer one than most!?

Spoke to the guys at showerspares this afternoon. The bad news is, the flow cartridge for that shower is discontinued. But the much better news is; they think it's just a 1/2" washer on the business end. I forget what kind of cartridge he called it, but seems they're made like it occasionally.

If it's discontinued, the warranty must be up!

Well that's not bad news. Get the part and give it a go. 9 times out of 10, you can get them working again with a clean up/ descale (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back