Grohe Talentofill Bath Waste Plug Stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The plug for the waste outlet for my bath recently stopped working and to fix it I would need to open the side of my (very much tiled in) bath. As an interim solution, I just want to remove the plug and use a cheap "traditional" plug instead, but I cannot for the life of me get the plug out. The fill waste system is the Grohe Talentofill (shown here: https://cdn.cloud.grohe.com/tpi/1000/1100/1130/1131/1131965/original/1131965.pdf). It looks to me like you should just be able to lift the plug out (with the decorative trim top), but it won't come out. It rotates freely and I can move it up and down to a certain extent and wiggle it back and forth a bit, but it won't come out fully. Does anyone know how I can remove it? Is it just a case of it being stuck with limescale (I have tried spraying with remover) or is there something I need to unscrew. Help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
1. You turn the overflow fitting, and the cable which runs to the waste operates a lever upwards. The end of the lever sits under the end of the screw at the bottom of the plug. Thus moving the lever upwards pushes the plug up and lets the water out.
2. If the plug is stiff it is possible for the lever to ride up over the head of the threaded base of the plug. This effectively locks the plug in place and also prevents it from coming out. As you expect, it should just lift out.
3. Try closing the waste via the overflow knob while at the same time pulling upwards on the top of the plug. Might just be enough to free it.
4. The cables often seize up, particularly if the knob is not operated regularly. If it is seized you will have little option but removing the tiles and either:
4.1 Freeing up and lubricating the cable OR
4.2 Replacing the waste.
5. Do not be tempted to undo the "grill" part of the wastes fitting. It is what holds the waste in place and would almost certainly require the bath side panel to be removed to refit it.

@oldbuffer - thank you so much for your reply. The plug is out!
I really appreciate your help. I was minutes away from trying to undo the grill part, so I think you may have saved my bath.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back