Pop Up Waste Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought a pop up waste, and rather than call out a plumber, I thought I'd have a go at installing it myself.

The current setup is a plug on a chain, with the bog standard overflow and stopper you get on cheap plastic baths in new houses.

I have removed the Pipe in order to get to the metal plug stopper from underneath, and unscrewed the one screw holding it in place from the top.
However, the metal plug stopper is stuck to the bath!
Have I missed anything? Or is it just stuck down with silicone? I don't want to prise it off if it's attached any other way.

I am also having difficulty removing the overflow and mechanics-how is that normally fixed on?

Thanking you in advance,
Rave :)

Sponsored Links
Yep the waste is probably siliconed onto the bath, the overflow should just screw onto each other.

Take the overflow pipe off then unscrew the two parts either side of the bath.

Hi,
Overflow is off now-it just needed a bit of elbow grease!

Just stuck on how to remove the metal plug stopper now.

Cheers.

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your speedy response.

How do you recommend I remove the metal plug stopper? Will I do any damage to the plastic bath?

Also, do I need to silicone the new pop up waste in during installation? I thought the washers would be sufficient?

Thanks again for your help,

Lis

Sponsored Links
The waste you just need to tease off, again with a bit of elbow grease, try twisting it from underneath to see if that brakes the seal. Once off clean all excess silicone off and then try with supplied washers, I prefer using silicone as an extra measure

Thanks again, Joel :)

One last question-I've just gone to install the new overflow, and it's bigger than the overflow hole in the acrylic bath, so I think I need to make this bigger. What is the best way of doing this??

Ta,
Lis

Oops! No, it was the way I was trying to fit it. It's like the Krypton Factor!! LOL. Bits are all in the correct place now, and it seems to be working. Thanks for all of your help on this.

One last question though-the new plug on the pop up waste does not sit flush when the overflow attachment is turned? It worked fine before my installation! You can press the plug slightly, and it sits flush on the stopper, but when you remove your hand it springs up a bit? It feels like there's a bit of sponge in the plughole, even though it's clear with no obstruction.

I've adjusted the screw on the actual plug, but that makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Lisa

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back