Grohtherm 1000 shower valve low flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am puzzled over the weak performance of my grohtherm 1000 shower. When all connected up I am only getting a maximum of 9 litres per minute through the showerhead at normal showering temperature, even when I bypass the economy button. However when i remove the valve and measure the flow from each of the pipes i am getting 16 l/min from the hot feed and 28 l/min from the cold. The valve specification gives 25 litres a min for a balanced pressure of 3 bar and so this is roughly what i was expecting....ie 2 to 2.5 times what I am getting. The temperature of the hot water feed feels about normal...ie very hot so i cant understand the low flow rate. Am I doing something wrong or does 9 litres a min sound about right? Regards Steve

Sponsored Links
Isn't there a factory set flow limiter in the shower :idea: which you can adjust to increase the flow rate. Other than that, check for crap in the filters, kink in the shower hose.

Sponsored Links
The flow limiter can be bypassed by pressing the button on the flow knob and id tried that before. Perhaps the answer lies in the flow restrictors as there are 3 of them. The first restriction is at the fibre washers at the joint with the pipework. They have a fine guaze/mesh covering the hole. I assumed the guaze acted as a filter protecting the cartridges but perhaps theyre not needed?...so maybe ill remove the inner gauze bit and just leave the fibre washer part. Secondly, I have 2 of these valves and one of them has what i presume is a restrictor in the outlet underneath the valve body. See photo.
Funnily enough Ive tried both valves and there didnt seem to be any difference between them. Thirdly, there is a small black aerator/restrictor in the base of the showerhead so maybe ill take this out too. The inlets each have non-return valves which I presume open under water pressure otherwise I cant see how any water can get through. See photo

Nope...still the same. Ive taken all of the restrictors/regulator/aerators out of the system and the flow rate is exactly the same at 9 l/min. Its the same for both valves too. Ive run out of ideas now and Grohe Customer Services are very slow to get back to me as well. Can anyone recommend a bar valve with a decent flow...say 15-20 l/min?

I'm having exactly the same flow issue with a GrohTherm 1000 Cosmopolitan, with similar input water pressures and resulting flow. Did you ever resolve this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back