Grommets

S

Shutpa

Just bought 3 sets of toilet seat hinges. The bolts are about 6mm but the holes in the toilet are double this. Can I get grommets to take up the difference or is there a reason for that difference?

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the nuts or washers have a tapered extension that centralises the bolts in the holes.

A short piece of hose pipe (slit lengthwise if it's too big) in the hole, and a penny washer under the nut will take up the difference.

The design of the holes in the pan errs on the generous side to allow for manufacturing tolerances (they shrink when the pans are fired).

The design of the seat hinge fixings errs on the small side to allow it to fit the widest possible range of pans (including those where the designers didn't allow for shrinkage)

Or you can wind a load of pvc tape round the bolts to make them tight in the holes.... ;)

Sponsored Links
Its a big job for a big jobby :D

Some seats come with conical rubber washers, sure, but you can't easily buy them separately.

why is it such a big job to fit a toilet seat.

Because one or other of my kids keeps moving around on the seat and breaking the plastic hinges. To date I have had to replace them at least once a year, because being plastic, tightening so often, damages the threads. Now, however, I have replaced them with stainless steel hinges but in one day two of them had started to move. The problem is solved because I fashioned two tight fitting grommets out of rubber door stops (like upside down top hats) and the seats just don't move now. I am really surprised that such a grommet isn't available to buy.

Thanks for the help given.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back