Grout cracking on edge of floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a floor laid in travertine in a new conservatory about two years ago. The tiles are laid on a screed subfloor with water-fed underfloor heating below.

The grout in one corner of the room almost immediately cracked away from the wall, but it was hardly noticeable. The gap has carried on growing and is now around 1mm wide.

There are no other cracks in the grouting at all, so I am concerned that this might be indicative of subsidence or other structural problems in the new conservatory.

Has anyone else come across something similar?

Sponsored Links
It does sound likely that it is movement in the wall due to the rest of your floor being sound.
Is the conservatory still under warranty?Might be best to contact the company if it is and get it checked out.

It does sound likely that it is movement in the wall due to the rest of your floor being sound.
Is the conservatory still under warranty?Might be best to contact the company if it is and get it checked out.

Thanks for the reply. The wall is brick/block faced with plasterboard. I has noticed a little bit of shrinkage at the top of the plasterboard, but not as much as this. Hopefully it is the board rather than the wall itself.

The conservatory is under guarantee, but the company that we used to have it done seem to have a bit of a reputation for trying to get out of any repairs that are not related to the glass or doors themselves! I will call them in to have a look.

Sponsored Links
What are the dimensions of the conservatory? Did you use any expansion joints?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back