Grundfos Pump running constantly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning experts!

My Grundfos pump is running constantly. I have it on the first setting, so it runs quietly, but I can hear it pumping water. I haven't used my boiler for months since it's obviously been summer. I thought the pump was on tickover and was meant to stay on 24/7.... until I seen my electric bill I thought i'd query it!

I noticed a problem over winter where if I put the hot water on only, the radiators will also get red hot - even though the heating setting was off on the boiler controller down stairs.

I have noticed the 3 port valve header/cover/housing gets really hot and the lever is floppy (I can move the lever, but it doesn't seem to have any friction - i.e swings loosely). Could the 3 port be the problem? I am unsure why the pump would always be on.. AND why my heating comes on when I just want hot water.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Sponsored Links
3 port valve seems like the culprit with possibilty of the internal micro switch contacts stuck closed. The lever should have resistance with no call for heat or hot water. If it is moving freely the motor has energised and is holding the valve open for heat or hot water or both.
Turn the power off and listen to hear the spring turn the motor.

Pete

Many thanks for the reply Pete

It has no resistance when the power is on (but heating and hot water off)

Aside from the 3 port should the pump be constantly on? Or is this a result of the 3port

Turn the power off and listen to hear the spring turn the motor

Have you done that? If so, what was the result?
Pumps should not be constantly on. They should only run during heating periods and when on a cooling pump over run.
What boiler do you have? It is important to know this as some require the pump be connected to them directly so as to be controlled by the PCB.

Sponsored Links
It's a baxi solo 2 pf

Yes I heard it do something when I turned the power off. The lever constantly floppy though.

:) cheers for your time

It wont be the 3 port valve causing the pump to run constantly, the boiler would fire if this was the case, as 45years has said the pump will be connected directly to the pcb so it looks like you need to get the pcb replaced.

Thank you :)

Ill have to look into a new PCB then!

Thanks both you've been a great help

Chaps, before/whilst I purchase a new PCB - i'm trying to get my head around why it would cause the pump to run when the boiler hasn't even been used for months. When a PCB is faulty, would/could it send wrong signals, or could it be a relay stuck or something so the pump is receiving the signal to run.

Just want to learn about the problem that's all :)

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back