GU10 LED wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I need some help with some simple wiring. I am making a new canopy for my fish tank and am using low wattage LED bulbs with GU10 fittings.

I want to have 2 separate circuits for different colours going to switches to turn them on/off.

I just need to know how to wire the GU10 Bulb holders. Do they need to be linked to a permanent wire or can the be daisy chained in a loop and then connected to the transformer?

For the set up I have 10 holders with bulbs, 2 transformers, a double switch and then cable to go to a plug.

Thanks in advance
Rory

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that they are ELV lamps if they have GU10 bases?

That would be unusual, and potentially very dangerous, as a lamp like that could be put into a LV circuit.

Not sure what you mean by, i.e. think what the difference is between "linked to a permanent wire" and "daisy chained in a loop".

What do the instructions say? The way the lampholders are wired (in series or in parallel) depends on whether the LED lamps require a constant current or constant voltage supply.

Hello BAS, thanks for the reply.

I really don't know what i'm doing if i'm honest.. . :oops:

It's lighting for an aquarium canopy. There will be a loop of 6 4W White LED's and a loop of 4 1W Blue LED's all with Gu10 attachment.

Each loop will have a 60 VA Lighting Transformer which I want to put into a double switch so I can have all the lights on or just one colour.

Thanks
Rory

I really don't know what i'm doing if i'm honest.. . :oops:
Maybe a proper aquarium lighting kit might be a good idea.

It's lighting for an aquarium canopy. There will be a loop of 6 4W White LED's and a loop of 4 1W Blue LED's all with Gu10 attachment.
Have you got a link to those?

Each loop will have a 60 VA Lighting Transformer
Will they work OK with loads as low as 4W?

which I want to put into a double switch so I can have all the lights on or just one colour.
What sort of switch? Where will it be?

Sponsored Links
Hmm....

What do we think?

OP on holiday?

OP gone quiet because he's realised that he didn't have ELV lamps with GU10 bases?

OP dead on the floor because he tried to test an ELV lamp in an LV holder?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back