Hairline cracks during/after substantial structural work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had our ground floor opened up into 1 big room - 1 goal post steel formation on back wall, 1 picture frame formation on the middle wall and a large steel joining the two together.

A considerable number of hairline cracks (30+) have started appearing on the floors above, and a couple that are maybe not considered hairline but a little bigger. Most of them are starting from the corners of the door frames, or where 1 wall meets another.

Some are on brickwork, some are on stud walls. Things like the the stair stringer also has the caulk separating.

The plaster is very new in the whole house, only skimmed in August. So too is the paint - in fact the top two floors have just had a total renovation. Could that have a part to play in it? Also, as you're probably aware, its been very cold.

The builder, who I actually have a good relationship with, is saying that although there are more than he would have hoped, he has done everything by the book and does not think any blame should come onto his shoulders. If it was just a few, I wouldn't mind so much but its basically every wall or architrave around a door has some form of movement, albeit only a mm or so.

He used plenty of acros to support the walls whilst putting the steels in, removing quite large holes in the brickwork above to put steel needles through for support every 900mm. 2 acros on either side of each needle. Once the steels were in he bricked up the voids and packed with steel washers, then dry packed around. Then out came the needles, and slowly these holes too are being filled in with bricks and washers.

Firstly - should I be worried?
Secondly, is this normal, or has something gone wrong/been done wrong?

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You appear to have taken out a considerable part of the structure so a little movement above will be inevitable, and a mm or so is nothing.

However, as you've removed some walls, the foundations under the remaining walls will - logically - be carrying a greater load. It could be that the existing foundation(s) is/are insufficient to carry the increased load, and this could result in longer-term differential settlement with more serious consequences.

Hopefully it's just the house settling down after major surgery, but only time will tell if it is something a little more serious. Don't blame anyone at the moment - see how it goes - and just be patient!

Sponsored Links
You appear to have taken out a considerable part of the structure so a little movement above will be inevitable, and a mm or so is nothing.

However, as you've removed some walls, the foundations under the remaining walls will - logically - be carrying a greater load. It could be that the existing foundation(s) is/are insufficient to carry the increased load, and this could result in longer-term differential settlement with more serious consequences.

Surely the steel work is taking all the extra load, and not the older foundations? I'm hoping that my engineer has taken all this into account and doesn't turn out to be an issue.

Hopefully it's just the house settling down after major surgery, but only time will tell if it is something a little more serious. Don't blame anyone at the moment - see how it goes - and just be patient!

This is my gut feeling, but I'm worried that if I don't act now, if I do have problems later I won't have anything to fall back on. Fingers crossed!

Dont think much of the brickwork.

I have no idea, but even to a novice it doesn't look great, hence why I put them up to see if that could be the problem.

Do yo think this brickwork could cause the issues, or is it OK to have poor looking brickwork padded out with steel washers?

Tony's an engineer i would go with his advice on this one.

The brickwork is worse than amateurish and would have me question the rest of the build quality.

Tony's an engineer i would go with his advice on this one.

The brickwork is worse than amateurish and would have me question the rest of the build quality.

Both the building inspector and my engineer seem to think my builder is competent and knows what he is talking about. This brickwork was the first thing that alerted me to the fact that maybe he wasn't.

I'm only concerned about the end product - the brickwork will be covered up which is why he said he hasn't been particularly careful. He has also done a retaining wall for us where the brickwork was of far better quality. So, the bottom line... could this poor brickwork which is where he has packed the steels be to blame, or is this more of a case of it could be done a lot better but at the end of the day it will still do the job?

If its packed properly it wont go anywhere!

Those photos are after the needless have been removed. I guess he will pack it properly at some point , but should be not have done that already rather than leave it over Xmas like this?

You would have all the structural work built and left to set for a couple of days before removing the needles/props.

Surely the steel work is taking all the extra load, and not the older foundations?

It's the foundations that transmits the weight of the building to the ground under your house and stops it moving closer to Australia, not the structural steel work ! If you've taken away some load bearing walls then it's inevitable that the foundations of the remaining load bearing walls are now supporting extra weight transmitted to them via the goal posts and the base of the picture frame.

The brickwork shown in your photos is absolutely appalling. I really hope that's not indicative of the quality of the rest of the work carried out....

Those photos are after the needless have been removed. I guess he will pack it properly at some point , but should be not have done that already rather than leave it over Xmas like this?

He should have built it packed properly in the first place and then waited a few days BEFORE removing the needles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back