Supporting External wall with Acros etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've been trying to find out (and failing) how to support an external wall whilst steel beam is being installed. I've already replaced 2 internal supporting walls where the floor joists run across the walls This was done using scaffold boards and acros.

I have a steel I-beam with a plate welded to the bottom to span the cavity and sit the external brick work on (drawn up by a Structural engineer). The steel is being installed directly below ceiling level (to be bolted to the two beams that are replacing the internal walls) therefore I don't have space internally to insert needles through the wall to be picked up by acros internally. How does this work? All of the sites that I've found information on, are talking about supporting the wall on both sides under the needles, which I can't do. Has anyone done this and can offer some words of wisdom? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl

Sponsored Links
If you need to use needles you'll have to put them in high enough up, so it might mean removing part of the ceiling and making good afterwards.

If it's not too long a span, the loads aren't too high, and the joists are built into the wall, then you might be able to prop the joists on the internal side with Acrows and scaffold planks, and then use strongboys externally.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

I've had a google of strongboys. Just to confirm that they're put in from one side but will span the cavity and hold the brick and block work of the house? If so, this sounds like what I'm after.

Cheers.

If you need to use needles you'll have to put them in high enough up, so it might mean removing part of the ceiling and making good afterwards.

If it's not too long a span, the loads aren't too high, and the joists are built into the wall, then you might be able to prop the joists on the internal side with Acrows and scaffold planks, and then use strongboys externally.

This would mean a lot of messing around in the bathroom and airing cupboard above the ceiling.

The joists are running parallel with the external wall so are not built in/supported by this wall.

Cheers

Sometimes you have to go higher with the needles i.e. level with the floor boards on the first floor. This means removing the skirting boards in say a bedroom and allowing the needles to poke through onto the floor boards and across a few joists.

The joists can be propped from below. It may mean a greater amount of making good but this can be done with blocks if necessary.

Thanks for replies.

I've had a google of strongboys. Just to confirm that they're put in from one side but will span the cavity and hold the brick and block work of the house? If so, this sounds like what I'm after.

Cheers.

You swine! You cost me a tenner!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back