Floor joist support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im taking down an internal wall between the kitchen and garage and I've had a structural engineer do the calculations for the steel beam. The floor joists for the first floor are being supported by the wall so I'll need to support them before the wall comes down. After exposing the joists I have found that there are separate joists for both kitchen and garage sitting on the wall and from the garage I can see that the kitchen joists over hang the wall by 6 - 10 inches. I was originally going to put acro's on both sides of the wall, now im wandering if I can just support from the garage side... Ive been told that I should use 1 acro for 2 joists on either side, but if im supporting from one side would I need 1 acro for each pair? Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would screw a scaffold plank to the underside of the ceiling joists on your garage side and then put a scaffold plank on the floor, and then put acro's every metre and put some screws in the top of the acro's. You will need to make sure the floor in you garage is solid and strong enough to take the extra weight.

Thanks Catlad, floors pretty solid so no problem there. I'm just putting the scaffolding boards up in 1800 lengths, was thinking of supporting with 3 acro's each.

Sponsored Links
Sounds good to me remember to pop a screw in the top as you go along because its possible the next ones you put in can loosen the others and fall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back