Fitting a steel lintel up to ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am planning on opening up a kitchen and need to take down a wall
I have notified planning got all the plans passed and steel calcs 152x89x16kg/m the RSJs are 2750mm long the floor joist run at 90 degree to wall, there is no walls above the areas where i intend to remove wall just joists and floor, I am taking the RSJ upto the joist.

My question is to support the ceiling above do I use acro supports say 2 either side of the wall with wood between acro and ceiling while I remove the wall and install the RSJ.

Then I was going to install the RSJ and push up to ceiling and place on padstones

Its the propping I am not sure about

All the info on web shows "needles - this wont do as I am going right up underneath the 1st floor wood joists

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
A pair of acros each side sounds good. We normally double batten between acros also. Needling is not required in this case.

You may be wise to get another pair of acros to squeeze the steel beam tight up against the underside of the joists. Any joists that don't actually touch the beam may need packing.

Once the steel beam is propped you can then remove all the other props.

The padstones can then be set beneath the steel beam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back